1 - it's nice to have a friend

SKYLAR

I rushed through the door seeing all the kids already seated on the colorful pillows covering the traffic road carpet. The walls surrounding the room were covered in paintings, the alphabet, pictures of different animals with their respective names, different shapes, and more. They all looked up at me with their cute little faces as I entered, still out of breath after biking as fast as I could, and I gave them an apologetic smile.

"Hi, I'm so sorry I'm late!" I told them and then turned to Connor who pushed himself off the wall and walked over to me. "How long have y'all been waiting for?" I whispered and he glanced down at his phone.

"Uh, I'd say it's probably been about twelve minutes since the last kid sat down."

"Shit," I cursed under my breath, receiving a smirk from Connor. Plastering a big smile on my face and turning to face the kids, I said louder for the room to hear me, "Alright, well let's get this started, shall we?"

The kids all cheered, and I went over to the front of the room with my guitar case. "Y'all do know it's our one-year anniversary today, right? This means I've performed here in front of you for exactly a year now. Ain't that somethin'? So, to celebrate it, I'll start off with a song request. If you have a song in mind, just raise your hand and maybe I'll pick you."

Almost every kid raised their hand and I chuckled, looking over at Connor who I realized was filming us as I pulled my coat off and threw it on the floor by the wall. "Alright, well, let's go with... Samantha. Sam, what song d'you wanna hear?"

Samantha, a smiley girl with red, curly hair in pigtails looked up at me wide eyed. "Love story!" she shouted, throwing her arms up in the air happily and in an extremely cute way.

"Alright, Love Story it is. An excellent choice, Sam."

I got the old guitar out of its case and leaned the guitar case against the wall. Then I strummed a few notes to see if it was tuned correctly before transitioning into playing the song. The kids started clapping their hands to the rhythm when they realized I had started playing and continued clapping as I started singing.

"We were both young when I first saw you. I close my eyes and the flashbacks start; I'm standing there- on a balcony in summer air."

We always took a break after the seventh song, which turned out to be Stay Stay Stay this time, and I put the guitar back in its case to avoid anyone fiddling with it.

"What'd you think?" I asked Connor as we both settled down on the floor with our backs resting against the yellow wall. He picked up two bananas from his backpack and passed me one. "Thanks."

"Amazing like always. I already posted a video and two pictures, and people love 'em... obviously."

I blushed slightly at his kind words because I'd never really been good at taking compliments, and pushed him gently.

"We should take a one-year anniversary picture of you with the kids and then maybe do some sorta Q&A or somethin'," he said suddenly, and I turned to face him confused.

"Q&A? What'd'ya mean?"

"Like, what do people usually ask us? We should do a video where we explain some stuff and answer a few questions... What? You don't like the idea?"

I shook my head and started peeling the banana. "No, no, it's a good idea. Sure, I can do a Q&A."

After the break, Connor decided to take the picture. He went to stand above the kids and me who were sitting really close to each other on the carpet, looking up at the camera... or well his phone.