chapter twenty-eight ; movie night?

AMOS

"Alright, take care then," I said, waving as I watched Micah drive off after shooting Alex and I one last grin. I turned to face Alex after Micah was completely out of my sight, "My back still hurts from last night."

"Do you realize how scared I was when I got up and saw that none of you were home?" he inquired, pushing me back inside the house and shutting the door behind him.

"No, how scared were you?"

"I wasn't scared at all," he shrugged. "Want some coffee?"

"I'll have some tea instead, thanks," I responded, removing my jacket and setting it aside.

"It's either coffee or nothing fucker," he joked, walking into the kitchen. I followed closely behind and sat onto the counter, pulling my phone out right after. 

"Anyway, did you and Micah have fun?" he started, sending a brief glance my way before diverting his attention back to what he was initially doing. "You guys were outside for quite a long time."

"We did," I confirmed. "We walked around and talked. He invited me to hang out on Saturday."

"That's great," he said, whistling a tune to himself. "You should be getting ready for work though."

"I am ready," I said, shooting him a confused look.

"Really?" he hummed. "Could've fooled me."

"Why? Is there a problem?" I asked, looking down at my clothes.

"Yeah," he nodded. "With your face."

-

Work that day, like every other day recently, was tiring and chaotic. There was a rush of patients and half of them were awfully gassy - and while I don't usually judge, having to sit in a room where people regularly dropped stink bombs wasn't my cup of tea. I had to step out of the room more than five times to catch my breath. 

Eventually, my shift came to an end and I decided to pay that coffee shop a visit once again instead of heading straight home. This time, I'd brought Alex and Autumn with me. 

"This cake is really good," Autumn commented. "Do you want some, Amos?"

"I'm trying to watch my sugar intake," I began. "So no thank you, I appreciate the offer."

"It's alright," she nodded before leaning against the table, an intrigued expression on her face. "Anyway, how are you and Micah doing?"

I glanced up at her with a raised brow before looking over at Alex, "You told her about him?"

"Of course I did," he started. "Wait, was I not supposed to? Oh no. Abracadabra, you've now forgotten about Micah Davis' existence."

"What's a Micah Davis?" Autumn played along, feigning a dazed look before the two of them burst out into a fit of laughter. Once they'd caught their breath, they turned to face me in unison.

"They seem to be having a lot of fun," Alex informed her. "I'm glad he's making friends. I felt bad for him, having just me as his friend. I mean, yeah he's unlikeable but I didn't think he was that unlikeable."

"If we were at home right now, I'd so throw this fork at you," I laughed, shaking my head at him. "But I'm glad too. It's nice being able to finally make friends around here. I've even been getting lunch between shifts with other residents."

"You're on a roll," Autumn praised. 

Just as I was about to respond, my phone vibrated. Like always, I pulled it out of my pocket and checked the notification. When I realized that I'd been sent a message from Micah, a smile crept onto my face - and I was too preoccupied to even attempt to conceal it.

'Hey, doc. We still on for Saturday?' was the message I'd been sent.

I responded with a brief 'yes' and switched my phone off since I didn't want to be on my phone the entire time whilst I was outside having a snack with two friends of mine.

"He's smiling at his phone like a little boy," Alex snorted.

"Oooh," Autumn chanted. "Somebody's in l-word."

"I am not in l-word," I huffed. "Watch it, Autumn. Or I'll be throwing this fork at you as well."

"Do you guys wanna have a movie night soon?" Alex offered. "We can invite Dustin and Ethan as well if you'd like."

"How about we ask Dr. Singh here to invite Micah as well?" Autumn suggested. "I'm pretty sure he'd feel more comfortable with him there."

"You're just making excuses," I pointed out. "I'm comfy enough with you guys being there. I've known all of you for nearly a decade."

"Then it's settled," Alex cheered. "We're bringing Micah!"