XXXVI

Bewilderment

Bewilderment

Today was the day. Ashanti got a small bag to put some of the things she needed for a week. She took casual clothes because as far as she knew, the shirts she had in Recani were toddler-sized suits. She was not expecting to have a shop in the small town that she could buy some fancy clothes she liked. It was nearly impossible.

Her hands then caught the box on the table. Her lips parted slightly when she opened it and looked at the beautiful necklace inside. Ang simbolo ng pamilyang Vercetti ang nagsisilbing pendant nito. It was made of diamond. The collana da donna was a one of the kind, as it passed to the newer generation of the family. It was given to the heir and his partner should use it especially on special occasions.

Para siyang asawa ng presidente, ganoon ang pakiramdam.

She recalled what happened the day before yesterday. After Giovanni hinted that it was her who he wanted to have the collana, the silence reign in his room. She was surprised by what he said.

Why her? -- That was what she asked the man after. She was completely puzzled. Isabell was already in the line, waiting for him to give the necklace, but in the end, it landed in her possession.

She never said she did not want it, but even if she turned her brain upside down, she could not think of any reason why Giovanni wanted her to get the position.

The future Lady of Vercetti felt like an unfamiliar word for her. She did not know and care about it in her past life. Her focus was only to become Kalen's wife and to win against Calista, that's all.

What made her more stressed was that Giovanni only shrugged as his answer. If he also had no idea why he chose her than Isabell, why not just give it to the latter? But also, she knew the man, as if he would act without a plan in his mind. If he did not want to give it to Isabell, then just don't, why did he make the situation worse?

"Just take it," he said. "If you really don't want to have the collana then give it to me before my birthday."

She sighed as she put it inside the drawer. There's no need to be stressed for that day. She continued taking some things to put inside her bag.

After a minute, Maeann knocked on the door to remind her about the time. She quickly changed her suit and went downstairs. Her mom was already outside with some maids carrying the bags.

"Let's go, dear. Your aunt Amanda is already in Recani. We should be there by afternoon."

She hurriedly walked towards the van. Her father was the last to get out along with Mr. Sanchez. Nagbibilin ito dahil isang linggo rin sila sa Recani.