35. Before the Storm

Dr. Howard covered his face with his hands and kept on thanking Moon Goddess. He let out a whimper, which made the guards furrow their brows in confusion. "Is he crying?" One asked the other.

"Yes!" Dr. Howard shouted, startling them.

"I am crying. And I'm laughing too." He chuckled while tears were streaming down his face. "Oh! Finally!" He laughed.

"Move!" He shoved the guards on his way to pick up his ringing phone. 

"Hello, Alpha." He greeted enthusiastically. "I have a very good news. In fact, the best news ever. I have found the cure for Xanthus." He spat the last word with disgust.

He went silent for a while to hear from the other side. 

Once again he burst with excitement. "What is it, you ask? First of all Alpha, it isn't an it. It's a she. Her blood."

"Her blood? How? Anyway, who is she?" The guards heard their Alpha ask.

"She is our savior. She is a gift from our goddess." They slapped their forehead when they heard the doctor say it.

Alpha Nathaniel bit his lip in frustration. "By the sound of it, it does seem like she is everything you've said. But Doctor, I'm asking for her identity." 

"Words aren't enough to identify what she will mean to us in near future, Alpha. She shall be identified as a goddess -"

"Her name, Doctor!" Alpha shouted in impatience. Former Luna Iria and Lady Ivory became alarmed by his outburst. Three of them had been in the Alpha's office, discussing the next step to help their pack members financially when Nathaniel decided to call Dr. Howard to get an update on the situation.

"My apologies, Alpha. I was just very excited by this discovery -"

"Goddess, provide me strength so that I don't strangle him." Alpha rubbed his forehead. Ivory spit the tea she was drinking as she chuckled.

The doctor panicked. "I beg for mercy, My Lord. I shall tell her name right now. It's Former Alpha Edward's youngest child. Lady Bennet!"

"Ariana?" Dr. Howard heard the surprise in Alpha Nathaniel's voice.

"Yes! Her blood, actually. But then again, she is the master of her blood. So yes, Lady Ariana Bennet is the cure for Xanthus." He rambled. "I will send for her immediately and perform tests."

After listening for some time, he interrupted. "But Alpha, it would be feasible if we run some tests immediately- "

"Hmm..." He nodded his head as he once again listened only.

"As you command, My Lord. I will wait for your arrival before approaching Lady Bennet regarding any of this."

                                                                      **~~~**

Dr. Howard took long strides as he hurried towards Camp B. Although the Alpha had commanded him not to inform Lady Bennet, he couldn't wait until his arrival. It was a time of national crisis and the doctor decided to override the order of precedence.

Ariana was checking heartbeat of a patient with stethoscope when Dr. Howard arrived. He now looked at her in a completely different light. In his eyes, she was already the savior of their kind. "Lady Bennet, a word if you please?" He bowed.

"Sure." She opened her mask and stepped outside with him. Sean took her place in examining the patient.

"The cure for Xanthus has been found." Dr. Howard informed.