8 | eclipse

EIGHT. GF-FORHIRE

━━━━┅━━━┅━━━━

━━━━┅━━━┅━━━━

kei tsukishima glanced at his watch impatiently as he waited for somebody to arrive.

the coffee shop was enveloped in a comfortable silence. it was a surprise how not many people were inside, but seeing as it was a school day and not everybody had the privilege to go home as early as him- having been in a college preparatory class- it was quite reasonable.

after the match with shiratorizawa, the boy had been feeling quite off. he'd been feeling stressed, lonely, and just.. empty lately. it was why he was often sleep-deprived. the boy was slowly becoming an insomniac.

at the back of his head he knew that one of the reasons why he was like that was because of his brother's recent proposal to his long-term girlfriend, ena toshinori which brought upon his mother's usual, "how about you, kei? don't you have a special someone?" that usually lead to conversations about his future and all the things about tomorrow that he never liked talking about.

but another- and undoubtedly the bigger - reason was his fear of reverting back to his old self while they were on their path to the nationals. true enough, he'd just gained the passion for volleyball during the finals of the spring qualifiers. and now that he has it, he doesn't want his relapse to be the cause of their downfall during the nationals.

the boy's existential crisis was becoming too much and though he did have friends- yes, he did consider some of his teammates his common-interest acquaintances- he couldn't spill his guts to them. he couldn't even tell tadashi yamaguchi, and that's saying something because they're literally childhood friends.

he tends to keep to himself most of the time. and he'd like to keep it that way.. somewhat.

the faint ringing of the bell atop the door of the coffee shop that signified a new customer's entrance caught his attention. he looked up from his phone and his breath hitched when his eyes caught sight of a familiar girl with ponytailed black hair that cascaded down her shoulders, to the small of her back.

she was wearing a white and red tracksuit jacket and a pair of black shorts. her feet were in iconic red socks and we're in a pair of black slides. it seemed as though she was looking for somebody.

her head darted from side-to-side, before they met his honey brown ones. she looked down at his shirt, and the boy felt a bit self-conscious for a split-second because of her blatantly checking him out. he was wearing a white shirt he got from his brother- it had the word "eclipse" printed in black inked kanji at the left part, and his training shorts for volleyball since that's where he's headed after his short trip here.

the girl paused for a moment, blinking before realization dawned on her.

from: lunar.eclipse@eemail.com
subject: meeting
meet me at the café a block away from karasuno. i'll be wearing a white shirt with the print 'eclipse'. thanks.

that was the email she'd received earlier. as the familiar face of the blonde registered in her mind, she could only feel slightly embarrassed.

why? she was training with them at times, how could she not? they aren't close so that's a good thing, but the fact that he'd hired her to be his companion was enough reason for her to be somewhat cautious.

she bit her lip and internally scolded herself when she realized she'd been frozen for quite a while. she shouldn't let those things bother her. this was all professional.

as she approached the guy, she could feel his gaze on her. she greeted him once she sat across of him at the booth, "tsukishima-sama."

the sudden formality added to his name made tsukishima's mind blank out for the first time, he'd felt like a simpleton as his cheeks flushed at the mere honorific.

"shekinah-senpai." he cleared his throat. "you're the.."

"yes." she nodded, her lips in a thin line as she averted her eyes to meet his.

he was stunned by the revelation. his brown eyes were filled with curiosity and wonder. "oh, i see."

there was a moment of silence before she decided to cut to the chase.

"gomen, i didn't mean to be late but i was preoccupied with practice." she turned to her duffle bag and started to take out the folder that was surprisingly still neat and untouched.

"i brought the contract with me, it has all the points you wanted me to cover. look over it and sign. if you have any questions, just ask."

she handed the blonde boy the folder and he took it. he opened it up to see the five-page contract with all the inclusions he wanted.

he didn't even have time to comprehend the fact that the girl training volleyball with them a week ago was the well-known girlfriend-for-hire. he was too occupied by the contract.

"i'll call you every night, at eleven until twelve. if you don't answer after my third call, i will stop ringing you because there's a chance you may already be asleep. during calls, i'll just listen and try to give some input if you'll allow me, but i won't go overboard." she listed the inclusions that tsukishima wanted.

tsukishima skimmed through the contents of the contract while nodding along to what his senpai was saying. when he got to the bottom of the inclusions page, however, his brows scrunched together in confusion.

ymari saw this and looked over, noticing what he was perplexed about.

"i added a few things too, if you don't like them i'll take them out. but still, as stated there, you can call me anytime of the day and night. i don't mind. if you wake up at 3am and suddenly want to a walk down the beach or up the mountains, call me and i'll be there."

tsukishima blinked in mild shock. this girl that was deemed the best point guard in the prefecture and probably in japan was dedicated to her work.

it made him wonder if she was badly in need of money and that she was forcing herself to do this.

but he shook his head, it would be so unlike him to worry about somebody else's life. especially the life of a royal like her- the queen of the basketball court, seinaru, jersey number 1 of niiyama girl's high school, and the previous number one of hakuou academy in middle school.

he took his pen out and signed the bottom of the fifth page, officially agreeing to the contract.

the girl gave a slight nod of acknowledgement and thanks as her client returned the signed contract to her carefully.

"looking forward to working with you, tsukishima-sama."

━━━━┅━━━┅━━━━