twenty-nine ; couple's night

AMOS

"I find it unfair how instead of a movie night, we're having a couple's night," Dustin whined. "Alex and Autumn, Amos and Micah-"

"Micah isn't here," I interrupted. "Yet."

"So you're not going to deny the couple part?" Autumn chimed in with a suspicious look on her face before Ethan changed the topic:

"Dust, you and I can be a couple for today," he winked. 

"Don't you have a crush on that Austin guy or whatever his name is?" Dustin snorted, crossing his arms. 

"Yes, but tonight I have a crush on you."

"Isn't Austin in a relationship with Nick?" Alex butted in. 

"Yeah," Ethan said with a shrug. "I'm just joking around."

"He's aromantic," Dustin reminded us. 

"As aromantic as can be!" Ethan said with a proud expression on his face.

Then, the doorbell rang, indicating the arrival of Micah. The group collectively turned to face me with a smug grin on half their faces. With an eye-roll, I made my way over to the door and pulled it open, greeting Micah with a half-grin, "Nice seeing you here."

"Likewise, doc," he smiled. "Sorry I'm late, have you guys already started?"

"Nope, I just got here a few minutes ago actually," Dustin said before clasping his hands together. "Okay, so this is how it's going to happen. Ethan and I will take the couch, the rest of you can sit on the floor."

"Brutal," Micah whispered from beside me before shutting the door behind him and making his way over to the rest of the group. "What movie is it that we're going to be watching?"

"You know the new one that just came out with the talking bananas?" Alex started. "The Banana Journey was it called?"

"Isn't that the movie that was getting a ton of bad reviews?" Autumn questioned. "They said the graphics was trash and it had a lot of controversial undertones to it. Are you sure you wanna watch it anyway?"

"I will do anything to witness talking bananas," Alex responded, placing his finger against his girlfriend's mouth to silence her. "Dustin, switch the TV on."

"I've also heard that it's boring as hell," she continued. "You're going to be asleep halfway through it."

"No I'm not."

-

They had fallen asleep halfway through the movie.

Alex and Autumn were cuddling in front of the couch and Alex, like always, was snoring like an active volcano. Ethan was asleep on the couch and Dustin was on my bed in the other room (since he felt uncomfortable sharing with Ethan and Ethan wanted to remain loyal to Austin).

Micah, surprisingly, was awake. The two of us had attempted to watch the rest of the movie together however it was so awful, we had to turn it off before it could end.

"That was the worst movie I've ever seen," Micah stated. "But it was fun because I got to hang out with you guys."

I nodded in response, letting out a yawn and stretching out my arms, "I've never seen a movie quite that horrible."

"Do you wanna go out with me?"

I choked on my spit, "What the heck did you just say to me?"

"What?" he responded curiously. 

"I'm your doctor, Mr. Davis," I reminded him with a squint. 

"Yeah, you're my doctor," he winked. "I was asking as in.. do you want to go outside? For a little walk maybe?"

"Oh," I responded, feeling my face go red at the explanation. "Sure I guess."

"Somebody's flustered," he snorted. "You're red."

"How can you even tell? I have dark skin," I said, standing up alongside him. 

"I can tell," was his response. He didn't bother elaborating and I didn't bother asking any further to save myself the embarrassment. 

"We're still on for tomorrow, right?" he asked, walking over to the door and holding it open for me. 

"How many times are you going to ask me this?" I sighed. "Of course we're still on for tomorrow. I would've called and cancelled if we weren't."

"Good point," he replied before stepping outside with me and closing the door. "It's so dark outside already. Isn't it only half past six?" 

I looked at my wrist to check the time on my wristwatch, "It's actually a quarter to eight."

"How are the rest of them going to get home?" he asked. "I have Miles to come pick me up, but didn't the rest of them get here walking?"

"They'll probably spend the night," I responded, ignoring the twinge of envy I felt at the mention of Miles' name. "What's up with you and Mr. Kim anyway?"

"Mr. Kim?" he snorted. "Just call him Miles, this isn't work hours."

"Yeah yeah, whatever," I mumbled. 

"Hmm," he began, looking over at me. "Are you jealous by any chance?"

"I'm just asking," I protested. "I just want to know, that's all."

"Well, if you must know," he edged. "Why do you want to know?"

"Oh fuck you," I sighed, exasperated. "Don't tell me. I'm better off not knowing."

"I'm just messing with you, doc," he chuckled. "Miles and I are just friends. We've been friends for a long time now so it's weird that you'd even insinuate that there might be something more between us. I've known him since we were in diapers."

"Still doesn't cross out the possibility of you two becoming a thing in the future," I pointed out.

"He's like a brother to me," he spoke. "Plus, he's got a lover."

"Oh," I said quietly. "I didn't know that."

"Mhm, he got engaged recently too," he nodded. "That's why you shouldn't jump to conclusions, doctor."

"I wasn't jumping to any conclusions," I lied. "If he's taken then why do you flirt with him?"

"It's meaningless," he reminded me. "And his partner doesn't really mind. They know the two of us would never be more than friends."

"You've really got to stop flirting with everyone," I complained. "It's going to give people the wrong idea."

"I'll stop when I'm committed to somebody," he promised. 

"So until then you're just going to play with everyone's feelings?" I said, struggling to keep up with him. "Hey, can you slow down?"

"I don't think of it in that way," he admitted, slowing down a little so I could catch up. "I always ask them to let me know if me flirting with them makes me uncomfortable."

"Well it makes me uncomfortable," I blurted out. 

"I could stop then if you'd like me to," he offered, looking over at me. "Do you want me to stop?"

I didn't answer.