Chapter 8

Taehyung really wasn't lying when he said that royals had many duties and a full-packed daily schedule.

As soon as the afternoon approached, the crown prince more or less had to shoo Jungkook out of his chambers and delivered him to Jimin, ordering him to take care of Jungkook and rushing back to be on time for his weekly harpsichord lesson.

The brunette hadn't even noticed the fancy harpsichord- an instrument that basically resembled a piano but apparently was an older version of it- in his room. He had not paid enough attention in school to fully know what the difference was, but he recalled harpsichords being used during baroque and renaissance periods and having more of a plucking sound to it than the piano.

Nevertheless, he and Jimin made their way towards the royal kitchens, him being super nervous since he most definetely wasn't ready to wander around in this gigantic palace without Taehyung by his side and grabbing his biceps. The blonde servant admittedly did not look very thrilled about pretty much being Jungkook's tour guide- or babysitter-, but still kept his word and explained royal servants' daily schedule and duties while walking and trying not to be seen by witty guards. Now, even if the royals' schedules sounded exhausting, they were nothing in comparisom to the servants'.

As expected, the royal kitchens were packed with kitchen maids and kitchen boys, the boys wearing the same uniforms as Jungkook and Jimin did and the maids wearing collared and long-sleeved dresses of the same material, the hem of the skirts almost reaching their ankles. Adding to that, their hair was strictly braided. The room was more spacious than Jungkook had expected and the servants actually looked like they were genuinely enjoying their work (plus, they weren't dressed in literal lumps like in medieval times), so he didn't feel terribly about this place.

He also very much enjoyed the smell of whatever it was that they were currently making.

And suddenly, a horrible realization hit him. "But-- I can't cook for shit, Jimin! They'll notice I'm not from here!," he exclaimed in worry, Jimin shushing him and pulling him further along the kitchens. "You are not here to cook. You will join me for the plating and decorating of the meals before they are set up for Their Majesties, the King and Queen. It is not that difficult of a task if you have practise and you work with precision." Jungkook, who could not relate to either of these things, simply nodded with anxiety settling inside his stomach.

Luckily, him and Jimin currenly were the only ones up for the food plating and decorating since everyone seemed to be extremely preoccupied preparing the food. And although he doubted that one family could eat all of that, he found interest in watching the kitchen servants work as if it were the easiest and most natural thing to in the world.

It seemed that Jimin's small hands were highly advantageous when it came to decorating food so it ended up looking too precious to eat.
Jungkook didn't dare actually touch any of the highly valuable meals and just pretended to work on the plating with Jimin, hoping no one would suspect him since he definetely looked extremely awkward.

The sound of the kitchen's door opening abruptly stopped the happy chatting and jabbering of the kitchen servants, a row of gasps immediately sounding through the room. "Your Majesty!," the workers fussed, bowing down at once to what looked like an older version of crown prince Kim Taehyung. Jungkook immediately knew that this must be one of his older brothers.

The good looks surely ran in the family, this royal heir looked just as gorgeous as Taehyung did (well, almost as gorgeous in Jungkook's opinion, just a little taller and more mature, perhaps?) and he was dressed in entirely golden robes that literally made him shine, an also golden little crown resting on his purple hair. A smile grazed his handsome face and the brunette couldn't help but wonder what the hell a prince was doing in here. Taehyung probably wouldn't be caught dead in a place so fully packed with loud and busy people.