chapter thirty-two ; second date 2

AMOS

"Why would you tell them we're recently wedded?" I half-yelled when we were back in the car. 

"You gotta admit, it was fun," he giggled like a child, putting on his seatbelt before ensuring that I'd done the same. "I almost lost my shit when they asked me where your ring was though."

"And you told them I flushed it down the toilet while taking a shit?" I groused, placing my hand on my forehead in disappointment and shame. "It would've sufficed if you told them I'd flushed it down the toilet but you had to include the shit part, didn't you?"

"It was funny," he repeated. "And you're gonna remember that for the rest of your life, aren't you?"

"I probably am," I sighed. 

"Good. That way, I'm unforgettable," he teased. "Did you enjoy the food?"

"I did, surprisingly," I confirmed. "The cake was pretty good too."

"I agree," he nodded. "I don't think I'd come back to this place but it was a nice first experience. The starter meal was heavenly."

"What's our second destination?" I questioned, looking over at him, a curious expression on my face. 

"I hope you know how to swim, Dr. Singh," he started. "Because that's what we're going to do."

-

He eventually parked his car in front of a dense crowd of trees and bushes before stepping out and holding the door open for me to do the same. I followed him as he walked right into it, pushing some thorny branches away so I could walk comfortably. 

"We're going swimming in some dirty swamp?" I questioned, concerned. 

"No," he chuckled. "There's a lake right around here and I promise you it's clean. Not too many people know about it so there's no litter, but those who do regularly clean out the algae and make sure there's no room for more to grow."

"I hope you're being honest," I chuckled. "But I didn't bring my swimming costume with me."

"You can just swim in your underwear," he pointed out. "Or if you're feeling spicy, you can do it fully clothed."

"The second half of that sentence sounds incredibly questionable without context," I said, earning myself a cheeky laugh from him. "But I am feeling spicy. How about we swim fully clothed?"

"Are you sure you're fine with getting your clothes wet?" he questioned. 

"I am, are you fine with getting your car seats wet?" I asked back.

"I suppose I am if it's with you," he laughed before cutting himself off with a gasp. "God, that sounds so horrible."

"You dirty bastard," I teased.

Eventually, we made it to the lake - and he was right. The water was clear you could almost see everything inside it, it looked so transparent it was as if there was no water in there at all. 

"This place is breathtaking," I commented. "Minus the beetles we saw on our way here."

"Hey, what did those little guys do to you?" he joked before pulling me closer by my hand. "Come on, you wanna jump in first or should I do it?"

I stared at him for a moment before making my way behind him and landing him a hard push on his back with both my hands, leading to him falling into the water. He sank underneath the water for a moment or two before making his way up to the surface, taking in a huge breath of air and shaking his head around to get rid of the water droplets on his hair, "You're so gonna pay for that."

"Am I?" I questioned before being cut off by him pulling me into the water by my feet. I swam up to the surface hurriedly and sent him a glare, "You asshole."

"Serves you right," he chuckled, splashing some water onto my face. 

"Fuck you," I laughed before splashing water onto his face as well. That repeated back and forth between ourselves before we eventually gave up and simply swam around while laughing like absolute fools.

"We're so lucky no one's here right now," he commented. "Imagine someone's walking out there and just hears two fully grown men laughing like little kids."

"We're all children at heart," I sighed with a small grin on my face.

"I suppose you're right, doctor," he said with a brief nod. "Since it's already getting a little dark outside, I don't think we'll be able to make it to all the places I have planned. Would it be okay with you if we skipped past all of that and just went to that special place again?"

"That sounds good to me," I nodded, turning to look at him.

My heart nearly sank when I noticed that he wasn't there. There was only a vast expanse of water where he initially was. 

Just then, I felt a pair of arms wrap around my waist and pull me into the water. I nearly swallowed a bit of the water before jumping back up to the surface, letting out a few coughs, "What the hell, Davis?"

"Did I scare you?" he laughed from behind me, his arms still wrapped around my waist. "Sorry, doc."

Though my main concern had been breathing a few seconds prior, my focus was now on his two arms which were around my torso, holding on tightly. I could already feel my face burning up again - but at least this time I could blame it on the lack of oxygen from being dragged underneath. 

I was unaware as to why I was feeling this way around him all of a sudden. Perhaps this is a coincidence?

What coincidence, dumbass? - my conscience fired back.

Shut up, me.