Chapter 27: Rude Interruptions

Natasha

When Katya came back from therapy, her cheeks were stained with tears yet again. But that wasn't unusual. Sometimes, people cried after visits like these, feeling worse than before they went in. And Katya was one of those people.

Without saying anything but a tight ''hey'', she sat down in her seat, put her seatbelt on and curled up. Definitely unsafe but definitely what she needed. Before Natasha could pull away, her small voice reached her ears again.

''Can I have your jacket?''

Thinking Katya was just cold in her thin sweater, she nodded and handed it over. But instead of hanging it over her shoulders, she bunched it up and held it close to her chest. Not long after, she had fallen asleep to the soft hum of the engine and the comforting smell of her wife in her nose.

Because it was late, Natasha had to drive to Maya's school immediately after. It wasn't ideal, because once again, the girl would get confronted with the ugly sides of life. But Katya had explained everything to Maya before, so it probably wasn't a big deal. Maya was a big girl, she could handle a sleeping and slightly emotional mother. 

At their usual parking spot, Natasha got out the car, letting Katya sleep. She struggled to give Maya a genuine smile when she walked out the doors, but managed to. ''Hi. Did you have fun today?''

Maya's playdate with Mason had been amazing, according to her. So now, she was even more smitten. She nearly jumped out of the car in the mornings to see him faster. It wasn't entirely clear if it was ''official'' yet, though.

''It was okay,'' she shrugged, hooking her thumbs through her backpack straps, planning on opening the back door and getting in. But Natasha stopped her before she could.

''Wait. Before you get in. Kat's sleeping. So if you can be quiet, I think she would appreciate that.''

Maya frowned a bit, trying to see her through the window. ''Is she okay?''

Natasha studied her for a moment, eventually sighing quietly and dropping to one knee. Might as well explain it immediately. Now at a little below eye-height with her, she straightened Maya's jacket and peeked around for any eavesdroppers before asking, ''Do you know what a therapist is?''

Maya's eyebrow furrowed in confusion. ''Yeah, they're someone you can go to to talk about feelings and problems and stuff.''

The corners of Natasha's mouth turned upwards. ''Right. Kat went to one a long time ago, until she felt like she didn't have to anymore. But going to Europe with Sam and Bucky messed with her head. So today, she went to that same therapist again, just to talk about her nightmares and everything she's struggling with in that head of hers. It will help her get better.''

Maya nodded, looking down into her green eyes with interest and her full attention. ''Like what happened last Friday at dinner.'' Such a smart girl.

''Exactly.''

''Is she okay?'' she questioned again, a worried crease between her eyebrows.

''She will be,'' Natasha reassured her, taking her small hands in her own. ''Eliza helped her really well before, and I'm sure she can, again. But if Kat is tired a bit more, or zoned out, or maybe has a short fuse, you know she's working on it. Please be patient with her.''

Maya gave her hands a squeeze, knowing how serious this was. She wasn't scared or anything though. She knew Katya, and she had seen her during the worst five years of her life after the Snap. Her lowest point. ''Okay. I will.''

Natasha smiled gratefully. This couldn't have gone better. Explaining illnesses that couldn't be seen with the human eye always had a mystery around them. ''Now, what do you say we get a burger and fries for dinner?'' she smirked.