chapter thirty-seven ; confession

AMOS

After work was over that day, I got home in a taxi and rushed to get dressed. He had barely given me the chance to answer him back there when I was already so sure of what I wanted. So I was going to tell him face-to-face what it was that I wanted.

Him.

I was afraid of showing up dressed too fancy so I settled for a simple full-sleeved black shirt alongside a pair of jeans. That was when it hit me that he hadn't specified the time in which we should meet, so I nervously sent him a brief text which read: 'when do you want to meet?'

Not too long after, I got an answer stating that he wanted us to meet as soon as possible - which was a very ambiguous answer so I assumed he wanted to meet me at that very moment. I asked him to wait and told him I'd be right there in a few minutes. 

And that was when it hit me that I had no means of getting there. Hell, I didn't even know how to drive. So there was only one option. I had to ask Alex.

"Alex, I'm going to need you to drive me somewhere," I said, looking down at my feet, already feeling the embarrassment swallow me whole. "I can't tell you why just yet, but please can you just do this for me?"

"Damn, you're making me nervous," he chuckled, grabbing the key to his bike before pulling me out the front door. "Just as long as you'll promise me that you're not going to be out there doing anything illegal."

"Of course, who do you think I am?" I snorted before getting onto the bike along with him. I wrapped my arms around him to make sure I wouldn't fall off and made sure to give him directions to the specific location so we wouldn't end up stranded on a deserted area. 

"Why is it so far away?" he complained when we were almost there. "Don't tell me you're going to be hiding a body here."

"Shut up," I grumbled. "It doesn't have to do with anything controversial or illegal. You trust me, don't you?"

"Maybe," was his answer. "It's just dark outside and this is an isolated area out of town so you never know."

And in no time, we made it there. Alex drove off without any questions after giving me a playful look upon noticing Micah in the distance and I rolled my eyes at him. After I was sure he was gone, I rushed to where Micah was - in that same bench, looking up at the sky in all his glory. 

I swallowed. 

Jesus, I was so nervous.

I could almost feel my heart threatening to jump out of my mouth and perform a backflip. 

I took in a few deep breaths to ease my nerves and made my way over to the bench, silently taking a seat beside him with my hands resting on my lap.

"You wanted an answer," I said after a while of uncomfortable silence. 

"I'm sorry if I made you think of one too soon," he apologized. "I just.. I don't know what's wrong with me. You drive me crazy."

I could already feel myself blushing at that. 

God damn it, Micah. Save that for later.

I ignored what he'd said and let out a shaky breath, "Look. I already know what my answer is. I've known for a long time now."

He stirred in his position, turning to face me eagerly. I didn't bother looking at him because I knew I'd jumble up my sentences if I did. 

"I could've just told you then and there," I started, looking down at the grass whilst kicking my feet back and forth to distract myself from how painfully awkward the situation was. "I know I sound like I don't like you or I can't stand you but that's not true at all. I do like you, more than you think. I think I've had these feelings for you for a while now, I feel like I was just too ashamed to tell you in the fear of getting rejected. That's why I was always asking about you and Miles, because I was jealous and insecure. There you go, I've admitted it. Happy now?"

I took in a deep breath before continuing, "And it frightens me because I haven't felt this way for someone in so long, and I don't want to feel this way. It's scary. Having feelings for someone is so nerve-wracking and makes me feel like I'm clinging onto the edge of a cliff twenty-four-seven. I don't want to like you, Micah - but I do. I can't help that I do."

I finally turned to face him and our eyes met. My heart was going crazy at that point as I chewed onto the inside of my cheek before finishing, "I like you."

A huge smile broke onto his face before he let out the biggest sigh of relief, "Thank the Lords above. I was afraid I was going to get horrendously rejected."

I snorted at that, feeling the tension in the atmosphere disintegrate at last, "You're an idiot."

"Amos, look at me," he instructed - and I obliged.

No sooner had I looked at him than he pulled me in by the material of my shirt, pressing his lips against mine for the third time that month. This time, I could feel him smiling into the kiss, and I could barely contain my smile at that. I shifted closer and wrapped my arms around his neck, attempting to pull him even closer before we finally broke apart, both of our hearts beating at the speed of light. 

"You know what," I began. "You really did steal my heart, Mr. Davis."

Just then, he turned to face me with the cheekiest grin I'd ever seen on a man's face prior to that moment before leaning in and whispering into my ear:

"Mr. Singh, I'm your patient."