Chapter 35

Have you ever thought about how food can look amazing when you are hungry, but look like a disgusting pile of mush when you no longer can stomach the idea of eating? Well the spaghetti in the bowl before me suddenly looked like a train wreck. A pile of mush that resembled blood and guts. It looked how I felt. Awful. I don't know. Aiden's words echoed through my bones.

His words shouldn't have surprised me, but they did. He had dated before. He had nearly been engaged before. It wasn't his fault that I was a freaking hobbit living in a hole in the ground, determined to stay in my own world. But now, someone had opened up the possibility to more. And suddenly being inside the hole in the ground alone felt... incomplete. The Hobbit example broke apart pretty fast when I realized Aiden would have to be Gandalf in that analogy.

"Summers," Aiden called. But I didn't look at him. Instead, I pretended that I was hungry and shoved a fork full of spaghetti into my mouth, unable to taste any of it. It took all of my concentration to look calm, unbothered as I chewed. I won't look at him. I won't look at him. I won't look at him. Just pretend this mushy mess is good and then, leave.

"Laliana." His use of my first name melted my resolve to ignore him.

I stared over the side of the museum, trying to find photographers. How far could I get before Aiden or photographers found me? "Yes?"

"I know you have questions—"

"They don't matter." My voice sounded numb.

"They do. And I promised to show you my artwork—"

I looked up at him. "It's fine Aiden."

I stood abruptly, my chair screeching loudly behind me. "I'm going to go. You don't have to share anything else. Or answer any more questions."

"But—"

I felt off-kilter as the next set of words fell from my mouth, surprising me. "I will tell Sanders we are canceling our contract—"

"Laliana." Aiden stood to his feet. "Hold on."

"It's fine Aiden," I said my voice surprisingly calm. "I know Sanders wanted us to kiss for the cameras but..." I paused running my fingers through my hair. "I don't want to kiss someone who doesn't want to kiss me."

I pushed in my chair. "Thank you for dinner."

I walked towards the roof door, Aiden one step behind me. I turned and shook my head. "I have six bodyguards waiting outside. And you aren't my bodyguard anymore."

...

Once I was clear of the roof, I bolted. My boots echoing loudly as I sprinted down the hall, itching to be away, far away. I spotted the front door, and moved faster, ready for fresh air and some privacy. I just had to get past the cameras.

"Laliana!" Aiden shouted behind me, startling me as his voice echoed loudly in the otherwise silent space. I was almost to the front door when he finally caught up, reaching for the handle a half a second before I could grab it.

Cameras were already flashing outside. Aiden's back was to the door, looking down at me with an unreadable expression. "Can..." He cleared his throat, looking frustrated. "I didn't... I didn't handle that right," he said, his voice hard to hear over the commotion happening outside as they watched us through the glass.

I stood up on my toes and leaned towards him. His eyes went wide, confused for a brief moment. I brought my lips up to his ear and whispered. "Thank you for keeping me safe." Then I placed my hand over his, removing it from the door.