Chapter Eight

Genevieve

Shawn's fist hit Asher's face, causing his head to snap back. I gasped and put my hand over my mouth. My eyes were wide and staring at the scene in front of me. Shawn smirked triumphantly, and Asher was beyond angry.

Shawn walked closer to me and put his arm around me, making Asher even more mad. He let out a growl and his eyes turned pitch black. "Bad doggie," I scolded him.

"What did you just say?" Asher asked through gritted teeth. I pulled away from Shawn and took a bold step towards my mate.

"I said 'bad doggie'." I stood straight, challenging him.

Ass-er glared at me. I like that nickname. Ass-er. "You better watch your mouth. Your uncle isn't here to protect you," he sneered.

I punched him hard in the stomach; it was so hard that my fist felt like I just punched fire. He grunted and bent over. "Does it look like I need his protection?" I whispered in his ear.

He shot up and his eyes flashed golden. "You are hanging from a thread, little mate," Asher warned, as his wolf fought for control. His eyes kept shifting from bright gold to the normal blue-grey color.

Ignoring the fact that he called me little, I crossed my arms over my chest. "Does it look like I care?" I retorted.

"You're playing with fire," he informed me.

"What? Are you gonna hurt me?" I asked. I tilted my head up and looked him straight in the eyes. "There is nothing that you can do that would hurt. Nothing would compare to what you did yesterday." I failed at hiding the hurt in my voice.

"The Alpha's niece can't take a little rejection?" he asked in a teasing voice.

I gritted my teeth together. "You know that's not it," I stated. He just stared at me.

"You don't know do you?" Shawn spoke up. Asher took a step away from me and shook his head. "She almost died," Shawn stated bluntly. Okay, dramatic. I felt like I was dying. I in no way was on the brink of death.

"What? How?" Asher asked, almost sounding concerned. You can't reject me, sleep with someone else, shout at me, then act like you actually give a shit.

My entire body burned with anger and resentment. This man just pissed me off to no ends. I narrowed my eyes at the Alpha. "You," Shawn growled. Asher tilted his head in confusion. "It's your fault. You almost killed her," he spat.

Asher turned his gaze to me. "What's he talking about?" he inquired.

"I felt it," I started. "You and the redhead. I saw it and I felt it. I felt pain." I fought back tears as I watched his reaction. He almost looked sorry. Almost.

"You felt it?" he asked. I nodded. "That's not my fault," he stated.

"How isn't that your fault?!" Shawn shouted at him.

Asher glared at him and looked at me. "You could've accepted it," he said, referring to the rejection. "You wouldn't feel it if you just accepted it."

"So this is my fault?" I asked exasperated.

Asher nodded. "Pretty much."

"You fuc-"

"Eve!" Ryan cut me off. I turned around and watched as he rushed up to me. "The castle. It's under attack." That turned the fight into a meager situation. My heart dropped and my mind cleared from this stupid man in front of me. The only things on my mind were my family, friends, and pack. People could be dying.

Thoughts and memories floated back into my mind. I imagined seeing that same man with the decapitated head, except it was my mother's head. My heart pounded in my chest. I felt my hands begin to sweat. I shook the image out of my mind.

I didn't need any details. I ran outside and shifted into my royal white wolf. I ran faster than I ever did before. Driving back would be at least a few hours. I ran so fast, we got to the castle half an hour later. The smell of werewolves hit me. But they weren't from the Royal Pack. They weren't rogues either. I shifted back into my human form, quickly slipped on a long shirt, and walked toward the gates.

There were bodies everywhere. Some in wolf form, some in human form. Some dead, some barely breathing. I got to the gates and Carson, Ryan's Beta, walked out of the castle. He was covered in blood, but none of it was his. A crying Jordyn trailed behind him. I walked closer to the castle, but they both shook their heads at me.

"No," I said, barely over a whisper. "Where's Matthew?" I asked to no one specific. I looked around as if I would find his body on the floor.

Carson approached me cautiously. "I got him and Jordyn to the safe house, before anything happened. He's with Parker's mate," Carson answered.

"My parents?" I asked, afraid of the answer. Jordyn let out a loud sob and Ryan wrapped his arms around her. "No no no no no." I shook my head. Refusing to believe it.

"Eve." Shawn lightly placed his hand on my shoulder. I kept shaking my head. Shawn pulled me into his embrace, but I shoved him away.

I walked to the doors of the castle. I reached for the handle, but Ryan grabbed my wrist. "Don't Eve," he pleaded. I shook my wrist out of his grasp and pulled open the door.

I screamed my lungs out and fell to my knees. Ryan tried lifted me to my feet, but I screamed when he reached out for me. I did that to anyone who came closer than an arms-length. Ryan gave up and left with Jordyn. Carson went to 'take care of a few things'.

Shawn stayed in the castle with me, but he kept his distance. I bawled my eyes out for over an hour. Never moving. Just crying. I talked to them the day before yesterday. It was supposed to be every day; but I wasn't in the best mood yesterday. I wracked my brain trying to remember the last thing they said to me. I remembered all the memories of them. And I realized that we wouldn't be able to make any more of those memories.

"I need to make a call," Shawn announced as he stood up and walked out the front door.

My parents were killed. They're bodies were torn apart, a bloodied mess on the floor of the castle. I kept blinking, hoping that the scene in front of me would change. Begging the Moon Goddess to let this be a awful dream. But it didn't help.

I shouted at the top of my lungs, until I couldn't breathe. And I passed out on the floor.