Dance with the Devil

As you walked into the restaurant by yourself, you scanned the dining area for your mother or best friend. The restaurant was in the design of a large banquet hall with classical architecture. There were golden light fixtures along the walls as well as definitive art. You didn't see anyone until you heard a familiar voice by the middle of the hall.

"Y/N!"

A hand waved at you gently, it belonged to your mother who was seated at a small square table with Mika. Awkwardly, you pursed your lips before regaining your composure, mentally preparing yourself to deal with her. Your mother got up excitedly to embrace you and gestured you to sit next to her after you hugged Mika, too.

"How have you been, dear?" your mother smiled.

"I've been fine, Mom," you said blankly.

She could sense you were uncomfortable, "I've missed you. It's been four months since we've seen each other. How is Hiroshi?"

"Dad's fine, too," you answered without looking at her. "He's been busy with work and stuff. I've been busy with life, we're doing fine."

Your mother frowned dejectedly.

Mika knew you were still upset with your mother for leaving you at a time you needed her. She could pick up the reproving tone in your voice. She couldn't blame you, though, anyone would be upset if a parent packed up and left their child after losing a sibling.

"Where's the lucky guy?" you asked Mika, trying to change the subject.

She sat up straight, "He should be here soon," she looked over your shoulder at the entrance of the door. "That's him right there," she lit up.

You followed her eyes behind you to the man approaching your table. When your gaze met his cold, poisonous eyes, you felt your heart in your throat.

It was Suguru Daishou.

That was the Suguru she was raving about for the past few months?!

He wore a smug expression with his signature sly smirk. His black hair was slicked to the side. He wore an emerald dress shirt and a black coat paired with black pants. In his hand, he had a bouquet of dark roses.

Mika got up and gave him a quick kiss on the cheek as he hugged her.

"Baby, this is my best friend, Y/N, and her mother Aika," Mika introduced. "Aika's been like a mother to me, she raised me as her own."

Daishou grinned, extending a hand out to your mother, "Pleased to finally meet you, Mrs. Sawamura. I'm Suguru."

Your mother let him place a gentle peck on the back of her hand and she tittered, "Oh my, Mika, you found yourself a gentleman."

Daishou chuckled as a form of appreciation before his eyes flicked to yours. His grin spread, causing your throat to dry. "I've been wanting to meet you for a while, Y/N. Mika has told me so much about you," his voice was deep and low.

Instead of showing your discomfort, you flashed a toothy grin, "I'm glad we finally got to meet, Suguru."

He kept his snake-like eyes trained on yours as he lowered his head to plant a kiss on the back of your hand, "The pleasure is all mine."

"So, what do you do, Suguru?" your mother intertwined her fingers before resting her chin on them.

"He owns a bunch of restaurants," Mika answered as she looked through the menu while Daishou took his seat across from you.

Daishou chuckled, "I own a chain, yes, but I own little businesses here and there, too."

After ordering your main entrees, you were presented with the appetizers your mother ordered beforehand with drinks for all of you.