Chapter 19

A random sentence suddenly popped up in my mind.

"I even thought that you would date him someday since you get along well."

I want to raise my middle finger to Hans. Who in their right mind would want to date their kidnapper?

Scratch that. I don't want to jinx it.

"Why are you calling me like that? Why are you being so distant? Don't be like this, Ces."

He covered his eyes with his free arm and rubbed it to wipe his tears. It felt like he was begging me.

"Intruders!"

I flinched at the sudden sound of the clashing of swords. Am I going to see a bloody scene again? A head rolling near my feet?

"Lady Ces!"

Hans ran towards our direction and Evan released my wrist.

"Young master. A lot of intruders and assassins just came and they are highly skilled. The knights need your help in stopping them and I need to get Lady Ces away from here to protect her."

I looked at Hans as if he's saying bullshit. I can't believe that he'll just send his master right in a flock of assassins and protect me, when I'm not even his master. He's not even asking for orders from Evan. He's saying his plan and not asking for Evan's opinion.

Is he digging his own grave?

"No. I'll be with her. You should go and help the knights."

"No!"

What is Hans doing? On top of opposing his master, he's even raising his voice. Have we gotten that close that he wants to protect me?

"I don't need your opinion."

Evan suddenly carried me in his arms as he ran away fast. It was so fast that I couldn't even react nor see Hans' figure anymore.

"What the fuck! Why are you carrying me?!"

I slapped his face and it was a very crispy sound that echoed for some reason.

It was probably too painful since he let me down.

God. I can't even see Hans anymore. Characters in novels are too athletic.

"Ces…"

I turned around. Though it's true that I don't want to talk to him, the reason for me desperately trying to get away here is for my safety. I need to get away from here and go to a place where my life would not be threatened.

Who knows where assassins might pop up.

"Ugh." I groaned as he stopped me again from running. I was about to complain when I saw his tears falling.

"Please just listen to me first. I… I just wanted to be with you. Can't you just stay?"

Wait a minute. Are you saying you want me to stay with the assassins?!

"Yo--"

I inhaled out of fear when I saw an assassin coming from his back.

I froze. I wanted to say something but my voice was stuck. My feet was also glued on the ground and I just blankly stared at the assassin. I want to shout and run.

Why did Evan didn't sense the assassin from his back? Is this assassin so skilled that a villain can't even sense him? Or is this just proof that Evan as a villain is really unsatisfactory and poorly written and made?

The assassin smirked. My heart pounded fast.

"No!"

With all my strength, I pushed Evan away and I saw him stumble and fall to the ground.

His eyes widened with shock. But it looked like he was not shocked at me suddenly having so much strength to push him or me suddenly shouting 'no' when he's asking me to stay.

He was staring at the tip of the sword pierced on my chest. I also want to look at it but I don't really want to see blood right now. Especially since it's my blood.

So this is how it feels to be backstabbed.

I thought I'd be backstabbed by friends but I didn't know I'd be backstabbed by an assassin.

"You..!" Evan suddenly brought out a dagger from his breast pocket and sliced the neck of the assassin.

It was so fast that the assassin couldn't even run away. I was more shocked that I could clearly see Evan's fast movements.

More like, why are you showing off your skills now that I'm already stabbed? You should have done something to that assassin before he could even dare trying to hurt you.

You didn't even say something to me before slicing his neck. Why do I have to see many gore moments today?

I felt my consciousness drifting. I felt someone holding my body, probably trying not to make me fall down on the ground with this annoying sword pierced on me.

"What's wrong with you? Why are you looking at me with those eyes?! Stay awake! Don't die!"

I turned my head. Though Evan is such an eye candy, I didn't want to see this bastard's face before dying.

***

Man, I was so shocked to see this app bombarding me with notifs. I'm so happy to see all of your comments. Thank you for the continuous support everyone! I hope you continue to support me in the future as well~