05. the good, the bad, and the ugly

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧( FOREVER )FIVE━━ The good, the bad, and the uglyˏˋ°•*⁀➷ 恋人┊͙✧˖*°࿐(🚙🚦🏘)

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧
( FOREVER )
FIVE━━ The good, the bad, and the ugly
ˏˋ°•*⁀➷ 恋人┊͙✧˖*°࿐(🚙🚦🏘)

( PRESENT DAY OCTOBER 18th, 2023 )

PETER'S REVELATION SHOULDN'T HAVE shocked Briar as much as it did, but never in a million years would she have thought that Peter would finally listen to her hours of anxious rambling. And now here she was, five years later, discovering that Peter Parker had finally taken a step back from the whole superhero life and said goodbye to his secret identity Spider-Man.

When Briar found out about Peter's double life in 2016, she was skeptical. She gradually became more and more supportive of him, but she couldn't seem to ever shake away the doubts and fear that played in the back of her head. Of course she was proud of Peter for using his powers responsibly to help keep his community safe. How could anyone be upset about that? She would never try to control Peter or force him into completely giving up something he loved, it was just the worry about not knowing if her boyfriend would make it back home safely one day that made her concerned.

Briar tried her hardest to keep her face expressionless as she processed Peter's revelation. "You and May were never really fond of me fighting crime and putting myself in danger every night." Peter continued to clarify, "Everything changed so fast after you both disappeared.. I was spiraling. I fell into a depression, and it just didn't feel right continuing to do something that used to keep you both awake at night."

These were words that Briar had only dreamed of Peter admitting aloud, but now that he has, it didn't give her the joy she imagined it would. She was relieved, but everything about it felt somber. "I felt guilty for abandoning the city when I had the power to continue protecting them, but the guilt I felt for not being able to save you all overpowered it."

Briar frowned and reached a hand out to place it on top of his own. "Peter, you can't be blaming yourself for any of this. It's not your fault, it never was."

"Maybe so." he replied, shifting his eyes down to the fabric of the couch and sighed. It didn't seem like he believed that he had nothing to do with the Snap, at least not fully. The guilt was still there. "Still, it felt like I was dishonoring you both." Briar squeezed Peter's hand reassuringly and Peter apprehensively glanced back up to her face.

"But do you miss it? It sounds like you made the decision to stop being Spider-Man because of me and May." Briar pursed her lips and she felt Peter's hand turn from under hers and grasp it comfortingly. "And as relieved as I am about you deciding to stop putting yourself in danger, if the only reason you quit was because of us then—"