Chapter 19: Decisions

"Here you are." Cheryl smiled, setting down a hot cup of tea. JJ had never really been one to drink it but the women had kind of gotten him hooked the past few weeks. He traced his spoon over the rim, liking the way it rang.

"Sweetie. I know your sad but fights happen. All healthy relationships have them."

"Were not together." JJ muttered. He took a large gulp at the womens confusion, allowing the liquid to burn his throat. "And were definitely not healthy.."

"Oh honey." She gave a little pout, running a hand through his hair. She was good at understanding when things were simply better left alone. Nothing she said would change anything, would it?

"Ay!" Marty called, jogging in. He grabbed at a bag of chips and sat, not having noticed they were in the middle of something. Not that JJ minded. He smirked a little at his brothers obnoxious chewing.

His brother. That was still so crazy to think.

Cheryl went silent, glancing between her boys. She sat down then, tucking her dress neatly beneath her as she called for their attention.

"There's something I need to discuss with the both of you. But lemme just say I am..so happy to finally have you both in my life. Every day Im blown away by the bond you two have, and so quickly. Despite everything. Im so grateful that what your father and I did didnt..well I mean it did but..

JJ grabbed her hand, comforting her as she cried. Marty reached forward a moment later. It only made the tears flow faster but she did her best to smile.

"Im glad you came to us." She said finally, JJ her sole focus. He would catch her watching him sometimes. Like she was dreaming or something. In awe of his presence.

Marty found it funny but it only seemed to make the situation more devastating to his eyes.

"Uh what..what did you need to discuss?" JJ muttered, brushing at his eyes which were tearing up a little. Cheryl composed herself, sitting a little taller.

"I talked to your parents."

"..what?" He pulled away immediately. "Why? Why would you do that? What'd they say? Did they forbid me from coming over here or something?"

"Jaime." He frowned, sitting back down at the look she gave. He hadn't realized he'd stood.
"They called me. Your father was freaking out, your mother was a mess-

"She's not my mother."

"She is, sweetheart." She said, almost looking offended. "She is your mother. She fed you and raised you and loved you. She is your mom. And I'm immensely thankful because she did an amazing job at it too."

Jaime shook his head, not wanting to hear it. She should have told him instead of just..pretending. She told him everything, all the time, all the most personal crap. But never the one thing that mattered.

She was everything to him. And all that time, it was all fake.

Cheryl gripped his hand firmer, pulling his attention once more as she repeated herself.

"They knew. Even if I wanted to lie, me and your father signed a contract. Not only do they deserve to know, it is their right. And frankly, I..Im worried about you. I understand all of this has been hard. But this is the exact time you need people in your corner supporting you."

"This is stupid," JJ hissed, clutching at his glasses. He didn't want to think about his fucked up family or the guys or any of it. He wanted to drink tea with Cheryl and build forts with Marty because they had 2 decades of memories to catch up on.

"Jaime, baby. I need you to understand. Everything will be fine. We will eat pizza and watch movies and have the best night. Your parents will be here in the morning. And we'll talk. Really talk, all of us. And we'll take it one step at a time. Okay?"