Chapter Nine

Asher

"So this is my fault," Genevieve asked exasperated.

I nodded. "Pretty much." She could've saved herself from the hurt if she just accepted my rejection and moved on. Obviously she moved on, but she didn't accept my rejection.

Her fists clenched at her sides. "You fuc-"

"Eve!" a voice shouted, cutting off whatever insult she was about to throw at me. Ryan rushed into the kitchen. "The castle. Its under attack," Ryan barely finished his sentence when Genevieve took off running. I followed them into my backyard, where they all shifted. Ryan's wolf was a large black, Alpha wolf. Shawn's wolf was a light brown color. And Genevieve. Her wolf was pure white.

Then it hit me. She doesn't have Alpha blood. She has Royal blood. My mate is a Royal. 'Brian' I called through the mind-link.

'That is my name,'

'Did you know?' I questioned the smart ass.

'Know what?'

'That Genevieve is a Royal,'

'What?!' Brian exclaimed. I told him everything. Starting with yesterday, and ending with seeing her shift. 'You idiot!' Brian shouted at me.

She could probably kill me, and just leave my pack to be rogues. I can't believe that I rejected a Royal. God, I'm so stupid. I was chosen to have a Royal mate, but I ruined it. The Moon Goddess is probably frowning down at me as I speak. 'I wouldn't have rejected her if I knew she was a Royal,' I argued. The Royal family would have every reason to destroy me.

'I'm not talking about that!' Brian snapped.

'Then what?' I asked.

'You are so stupid! Alpha Ryan said that the castle is under attack!' Brian told me.

'So?'

'Your mate is a Royal. And where does the Royal Family live?' Brian asked, like he was talking to a child.

'They live in the castle' I stated. Then I put it all together. 'Her family is under attack!' I shouted. 'What do I do?' I asked Brian for advice.

'Sorry, man. But you can't do anything. You rejected her. You don't have a say in what happens now.'

'I can't just sit here and do no-' I was cut off when I started gasping for air. It felt like I literally got the air knocked out of me.

'Ash?' Brian asked. I blocked him out and steadied my breathing. For some reason, I felt like crying. It was weird. I shut my eyes and saw blood. A lot of it. Blood and dead wolves. I snapped my eyes open when my phone started ringing.

I pulled it out of my front pocket and looked at the number. It was out of state. I answered it. "Hello?"

"Alpha Asher?" Shawn's voice said through the phone.

"What do you want?" I hissed. He better not be calling to tell me I'm an asshole or something.

"It's Genevieve. I think she nee-" There was a piercing scream that lasted almost a whole minute. I heard a thud, like he dropped his phone. I strained my ears to hear what was going on. People were calling my mate's name. There were a lot of footsteps. And a child was crying. I heard shuffling, and Shawn's breathing filled my ears.

"What happened to her?" I asked frantically.

"You need to get over here," Shawn demanded.

I held the phone to my ear with my shoulder as I started walking closer to the forest. "What happened?" I repeated.