To Drink

Pamela kicked her heels off in her walkway of her small town house. Gotham's sounds soon muffled by the shutting and locking of her door.

She let out a long sigh and slumped against her door. Today had been difficult. 

Between Harley and Dr. Arkham work had been, stressful.

She'd never admit it but she looked forward to her meetings with Harley, however they took a lot out of her.
She wanted to take the woman out of the toxic environment and try and help her heal; in an environment actually conductive to do so.

Fucking hell. Arkham was never about rehabilitation, just locking up people and mutants. Cleaning up the streets.

Sure there was some that needed the key thrown away but not all of them.
Especially not a certain blonde that kept her thoughts occupied outside of the walls of the asylum.

"Fuck." She scrubbed her face with her hands, then pulled out her pony tail before making her way to the kitchen.

She threw open the fridge door, her long nails tapping on the handle before swinging it shut with annoyance. She eyed a bottle of wine on her counter and grabbed it.

Unceremoniously she pulled put the already opened cork and took a long drink from the bottle. It was a dry red, nothing special but it did its job.

Grabbing a bag of chips she flopped onto her couch which had certainly seen better days.

The chips were stale and the wine was bitter but she couldn't be bothered.

It was a depressing picture, Pamela mused. She was thirty five, living alone in a town house, no significant other, no pets and a job that would ultimately lead no where. Hell, she thought, at least she was a fucking doctor.

Pam coughed, a chip going down the wrong way. "Jesus christ."

Wouldn't that be her luck, to be taken out by a stale corn chip. 

Pam supposed she could find some humor in it. 

She was enjoying her pity party. She needed one after all. The day of cutting insults from her patients and coworkers had begun the wear away at her.

Well, all but one of her patients. 

Pamela bit her lip to try and derail that train of thought before it could start again. She wasn't about to start thinking about the quick witted woman that managed to seep into her life. Fuck .

So much for that.

She fumbled for her remote to put on some background noise as she moved into her bathroom. She felt the warm wine buzz as she stood and made it into her bathroom.

Carefully she undid the buttons of her blouse, pausing to think about what Harley had said about the green.

Shaking her head she shrugged off the unbuttoned shirt. Shimmying out of her  pants she caught her reflection in the mirror.

God she looked tired.

Pale purple bags were visable even through her makeup. She frowned slightly at the wrinkles on her forehead that seemed to have develop rather recently. Maybe she just needed to moisturize more.

She removed her glasses and wiped her face with a makeup wipe. She rather sloppily got rid of most of it, whatever didn't come off would be washed away in her shower.

Removing her undergarments she started the shower and stepped inside.
Soon the scalding spray washed over her and she let her shoulders sag.

Closing her eyes she leaned her head back letting the water run through her heavy hair.

It had gotten long in her time at Arkham. It fell to the lower part of her back now, with it always having to be up in one way or another she had not paid it much attention.

She lathered her body in her rose body wash and soon washed her hair. She enjoyed the hot water but knew it would be running out soon.

Brushing her conditioner through her hair with her fingers she got ready to step out of the shower.

She stayed under the hot spray for a few more precious seconds before cutting the water off.

Pam ran a hand along her collar bones noticing how much sharper they felt.

Her apathy towards her own wellbeing seems to be catching up to her once more. She ran a hand along her side, cringing at how sore her back was and how tender her sides were.

She was fucking tired.

The shower had killed her buzz and now she was standing naked in her bathroom and it felt like her world came to a sudden halt.

It's like she'd been running on auto pilot for a month and she was suddenly very aware of herself. Uncomfortably aware.

Pamela grabbed her towel off the hook and wrapping herself up with it.

Before she knew it she was crawling in her bed, still wrapped in her bath towel.