Chapter 4 - 'Get your filthy paws off me.'

'Hello, anybody there,' called out followed by three knocks...

I shot up, shoving the dead weight off the bed in the process. Frantically, staring at the door I wondered who was at the door, until, I realised the noise was actually my phone going off.

I glared at the phone that was vibrating on the locker, cursing whoever was ringing at this hour in the morning.

Not glancing at the caller ID, I angrily answered, "Did you people ever hear of sleep?-"

I was cut off by a voice that made my blood run cold, "Is that anyway to greet your mother?"

I nervously laughed, knowing I was in deep shit. Don't get me wrong she is a fantastic mother, but when she is angry, she is angry. I winced at the emotionless tone in her voice, signalling I was going to get an earful later, absolutely fantastic. "Hey my fantastic mother, did I ever tell you how much I love you?" I replied to her in the sweetest voice I could muster.

From the corner of my eye, I caught a glimpse of Bates head rising up from the floor, but there was no time to think about his messy bed head hair, and husky sleep filled voice. As he stared at me with half closed eyes, confused as to why I literally shoved him out of my bed.

"Cut the sucking up. I am beginning to question if I actually have a daughter anymore?" My attention was drawn back to the phone when she spoke once again.

"Anyway," I could basically see her waving her hand in a motion that she was actually getting down to why she was ringing, "you will be coming after school, Lucy is coming to visit with Becky."

"Mom, are you serious?" I groaned through the phone at the thought of having to deal with her.

Now, let's get this straight, I love my family to death, but Becky is the type of girl that is just so perfect and innocent it's sickening.

"Shut up complaining and deal with it. If I have to deal with Lucy then you will be dealing with Becky." She told me stubbornly, and I knew there was no negotiating with her.

By now, Bates had climbed back on the bed and laid back down with a content sigh, snuggling up to me, his breath caressed the bit of back that was exposed due to my stupid top, that hitched up.

"But Ma, what if she makes me like pray with her or something?" I inhaled a sharp breath, I genuinely don't even know one prayer, and we were never lets say the holy type of people, "Oh my Lord Jesus Christ, what if she makes me go to church with her?" considering her father was a pastor and all.

Bates erupted into a fit of laughter, and I knew my mother heard. Well, this should be interesting it will probably go something like, 'Hey honey, why is there boy in your bedroom?'

Oh, who am I kidding it will realistically go something like, 'you son of a bitch, get your ass home, now, or so help me God.'

There was dead silence on the other side of the phone I held my breath waiting for the reaction. Visibly wincing, Bates seemed to notice he basically told my mother he had slept with me last night, wasn't a good thing.

"Bates honey," her voice started full of fake sweetness, "in nine months if there are mini Bates running around, I will chop of an instrument of yours. See you after school, sweetie."

I didn't even get to reply because she hung up and I got the dial tone as a response. I glanced at Bates to see him covering his 'instrument' looking absolutely terrified, "I deal with druggies every day, but no one scares me as much as your mom."

Nodding in agreement, we fell into silence. Until he grabbed my hand tightly and looked at me with a puppy dog face, "But Harpy, I want to have kids." He whined, you would never think he was nineteen more like nine.