Fifty-one

[ Hiiiii, just wanted to say that after this last chapter there will be a sequel, so follow me to see it being posted! ]

________________________

James

The heavy knock on the front door grabbed my attention. I adjusted my suit, while at the same time reaching for the door handle. On the other side of the threshold stood two people I had waited for the last thirty minutes. Both dressed in formal clothes, the woman in a figure-hugging dress and the man in a dark suit.

Theodore Lozano. A man I had known my whole life, from early childhood. His father and my father were close friends, resulting in that we were as well. Theodore was a successful businessman and a member of a powerful mafia family. The Lozano's. They were part of Il Risorto, my cartel. We cooperated in certain areas and worked together.

What Theo does is pretty simple. He's the capo, or captain if you will. He heads a large crew of hitmen, associates, and soldiers — those who work for me. He is obligated to report back to me or Alesso, and the only one he obeys is me. Being the captain, he can order his crew to do absolutely anything. And if they don't, they get killed.

Next to him was his wife, not much older than Ava. Twenty-six I believe. Diana Lozano. Their marriage was an arranged one. It was their parents doing when they were only 10. Despite this, they are a happily married couple. To an unfamiliar eye, you would believe they simply met and fell in love.

"Niccó, long time no see," Theodor said, bowing his head. Diana did the same. I offered them a nod of approval and stepped aside to let them in.

"Keeping track of time as always, Theo," I said sarcastically. "Diana, how are the kids?" I asked when the door was closed.

She smiled softly and clasped her hands in front of her. "They're well. We left them at home, we didn't want to disturb the peace here."

I chuckled. "Are you kidding? I haven't seen those little bastards since they pushed over the bookshelf in my office." 

She gave a nervous smile and lowered her eyes. "Again, sorry about that."

I had known Diana since she married Theodor, which was years ago. Still, she seemed a little tense around me. I didn't blame her. Everyone who knew who I was acted like that, like walking on eggshells. They knew what happened to people who didn't respect me.

I waved my hand dismissively. "Nothing to worry about. Now, let's get to work. We have a lot of things to go through." I said, stepping towards the lounge.

"Is Alesso going to join us?" Theodor asked behind me, following me into the room.

"Actually, no. He will know about this soon enough anyhow. Besides, this doesn't concern anyone but me and Ava." I took a seat on one of the couches, the other two planting themselves opposite me.

"Drinks?" I asked.

"Yes, that would be nice."

I gestured for the maid to get us something to drink, and she scurried off. I leaned forward, my elbows on my knees.

"Do you have it with you?" I asked Theo. He nodded and fetched a document out of the bag he brought.

"Here," He laid them out on the table. "This is every estate that matched with your preferences. Both closer to the city and outside." He said.

I picked up each paper, examining the huge mansions on the pictures and the information beneath it. I wanted something that was secure, big enough to fit a family, and something that I knew Ava would love.