August 10 Afternoon

"Mr. and Mrs. Jeffries?" a young nurse called out into the waiting room.

"Yes! Is there any news on Daphne?" her father asked.

The nurse gave a warm smile and informed them that the ambulance had just arrived and someone would come speak to them once there was more information.

While wheeling the gurney through the ambulance bay at the ER Chris was calling out all vitals and information to the doctor and nurses.  Daphne's eyes had been fluttering open the majority of the ride but now she held her eyes open wide in fear. "Alright, we've got it from here," the doctor responded.  Hayden started backing out of the area to head back to the rig while Chris had trouble pulling himself away. "Come on man we need to get back."

With one last look at the brunette female he felt his heart ache. The fear in her eyes called to him. About that time another call came across their radio alerting them to a home accident two blocks away. With a heavy heart Chris followed after Hayden as he responded to the call.

  By the afternoon it had been determined that Daphne did in fact have a broken leg, dislocated shoulder, slight concussion and two broken ribs.  Her family, obviously thankful it wasn't worse, sat around her hospital room waiting for Daphne to explain what happened. She'd been give strong pain medication for her leg and ribs but couldn't be allowed to fully fall asleep due to the concussion.

"It felt like slow motion," she started. "I was asking mom a question when I looked in my rear view mirror and saw this tractor trailer barreling towards me. It was obvious he wasn't going to stop. The next thing I know I'm in an ambulance being asked to squeeze someone's hand."

Her mom was choking back tears because all she can hear is her daughter's screams that have been burned into her memory. "Sweetie, the other driver had fallen asleep. He rear ended you going 70 in a 45. Your car flipped and just narrowly missed landing in the trees."

Adam Jeffries was trying to remain calm but the agony and anger flashing across his face proved otherwise. "We could've lost you."

Tender hearted Daphne looked up at her father with a small smile, "but you didn't. You're stuck with me old man."  Her father attempted to relax with a joke of his own, "yeah, well thanks for the extra gray hairs Daph." 

"I'm pretty sure we all are a little more gray after this mornings events," James says as he and Oliver walk into the room.  "Never again, sis, got it?" Oliver asked.

"You worry too much Ollie." Suddenly panic washes across Daphne's face and her mother jumps up in alarm. "What is it honey?" Laura questions.

"My babies! Gracious alive they're probably worried sick."  Her father looked at her with a questioning look. "That's what you're concerned with?" He says.

"It's their first day of school ever and I'm not there! I've got to call the school and make sure everything is okay," she exclaimed as she attempted to reach for the hospital phone. She quickly realized that wasn't the smartest idea as she was reminded of her injuries.

Her mom stopped her and reassured her that the school already knew what happened as everything had been taken care of.

After another couple of hours Daphne was rechecked for her concussion and was given the go ahead to sleep. Her family left but with a promise that mom would be back later in the evening.

After getting herself situated and another dose of meds Daphne drifted off. As her eyes began to give way to the slumber she heard a calm soothing voice from just outside her room. Her eyes were too heavy to look further for the man the voice belonged to but found an odd sense of comfort from him. As she drifted off she heard her name.

"Any news on that woman we brought in this morning? Uh, Jeffries I think," Chris asked.