August 15

Daphne's recovery had been slow moving as the doctors weren't sure if surgery would be necessary on her leg. Once swelling had come down she was relieved there would be no need for surgery or a longer hospital stay.  In fact, just five days after the accident she was headed home.

Although the accident could have been much worse Daphne was not thrilled that she would not be able to return to her classroom for at least the next three weeks as she had to remain off of her leg. "Remember Daph, no weight on that leg," her dad reminded her as he rolled the wheelchair up into the Jeffries home. Due to the extent of the injury to her leg Daphne will have to stay with her parents for the next couple of weeks. "I appreciate y'all letting me stay but I really don't want to be a burden," she informed her parents.
"Nonsense. You're our baby no matter how old you get to be. You'll understand when you have your own family," Laura said while helping Daphne get comfortable on the couch in the living room. "Speaking of... did you find out if any of your doctors were single," her mother asked while wiggling her eyebrows.  Daphne laughed at her mom's expression while she answered, " it didn't really come up in conversation but I noticed a couple had rings. But you know mom I already have kids. Kids I get to teach for six hours a day and then pass them off to their parents."
"I know your students will always be your babies but I'd like some more grands. Can ya work on that for me?" Laura responded with a chuckle.
"I'll tell you what I could work on would be one of Mr. Danny's chicken sandwiches. Ooh! And sweet tea. What do ya say?" She sweet talked her mother. 

Callahan BBQ, better known to the locals as "The Chicken House" was packed out while Chris and Hayden were taking their lunch break. 
"I don't know how you can eat that man," Chris says to Hayden.
Hayden laughs as he continues to cut into his liver and onions. "Man, you may be from South Florida but you know nothing about southern foods."
Chris runs his hand over his beard as he leans back in the booth. Well, maybe not a technical booth...more like a picnic table with the wall as a backing. "I'm trying to learn man but that, that's just straight up nasty," he chuckles.
  In the two months that Chris has been in the small county he's come to learn that most food is better fried, the tea is always sweet and you can't go anywhere without seeing someone you know.  And in this moment he sees someone he'd like to forget. He quickly sits up and slumps over in an attempt to hide his face away from the girl leaving the register. Oblivious to what Chris is doing Hayden takes note of the blonde female and waves with a shout, "hey Sophie! How ya been girl?" his thick twang coming out.  Chris shoots his blue eyes up at his partner with a stern look. Hayden just shrugs while Chris rolls his eyes.
The 5 foot 5 blonde works her way over to the table with a wide smile and a flip of her hair. "Well, well. What are you two doing here? I thought y'all only ate at the firehouse," she says in an attempt to make a joke. "Hayden did you hear? Pop is gonna start racing again. Maybe you boys could come to the race Tuesday night," she says with her eyes locked on Chris who just happens to keep his head down. Hayden begins to answer, "that's awesome! We'd love-"
"I'm busy," Chris interrupts him with a quick glance at Sophie.
"Order up for Sophie," the boy behind the counter yells. "Well of anything changes you know where to reach me," Sophie says with a grin on her face and her hand on Chris's shoulder. 
Hayden watches her walk away and turns to look at Chris dumbfounded. "Dude, what the heck?! You went out with her a week ago why are you freaking out now?"
Chris looked at his partner and furrowed his brow. "She's not my type. I'm not even joking when I tell you I couldn't get a word in the whole time as she spoke of nothing but her skincare and make up routine."
"Are you blind? A gorgeous petite blonde is not your type?" Hayden questioned.
Chris took a sip of his tea and piled his silverware onto the paper plate. "I need substance man." 
He gets up to throw away his trash when he hears the man behind the counter yell "To go order for Jeffries!"  Chris stops and turns for a moment as he recognizes the name. He sees a brunette woman, around 50, walk over to Mr. Danny. 
"How's our girl doing today Laura," Mr. Danny asked. Laura looked at him with a smile as she tells him they brought her home from the hospital today. "She's got a rough couple weeks ahead of her but we'll help her through it. Her first request was a chicken sandwich and sweet tea, so here I am."

"Later Danny!" Hayden calls back to the owner
as he heads back out to the rig.

As one of the first people to arrive on a scene paramedics are always happy to hear when a victim is healing.
Chris climbs into the passenger seat and buckles up for the short ride to Station 6 wondering what makes this woman different from the rest.