Chapter 20 - Apologies

Arabella's POV

"I don't remember anything... I told you." I said aggitatedly.

One of Nathaniel's men had been interrogating me the entire morning. He introduced himself as Xavier, I remember seeing him around. He must be important, I could tell Nathaniel trusted him, even if I didn't know why. He was polite, but persistent. As if he was sure that I was hiding something.

"Nothing at all?" He pushed on.

"The first thing I remember is waking up on that forest floor alone. It was cold, I was scared. Then I heard Nathaniel calling my name."

"What were you doing that night, before you went to bed?"

I gulped. The memories of that night came flooding back to me.

After the incident with Vanessa, Benjamin had stayed by my side to comfort me. He told me about the marriage arrangement between Vanessa and Nathaniel, and why it was necessary. I felt helpless. A part of me wanted to be selfish, and steal Nathaniel away from the rest of the vampire kingdom that needed him. I wanted him to myself, away from all the responsibilities he needed to carry. But the other part of me knew that it simply couldn't be. His vampire kingdom needed him, and I was just one small werewolf out of a mass population of hungry vampires. I meant nothing to him.

I was thankful for Benjamin, he spent the rest of the time telling me silly jokes. "I won't go unless you give me one good laugh," he said. "Come on Ara, just one good laugh." I did laugh in the end, Benjamin was like a ball of sunshine in the midst of this storm. He was my only warmth when Nathaniel was away so much. I was glad I had him.

"Nothing. I headed to bed as per normal. There was nothing out of the ordinary." I replied. I don't know why I didn't tell him the exact truth, I felt like he didn't have to know. There was no need for Benjamin to be involved in all of this.

"What time-"

"Enough, Xavier." I cut him off. "I've told you everything I know and remember. I'm tired, please leave."

Xavier nodded and got up from his chair. "Thank you for your time, miss." He bowed slightly and left the room. 

I heaved a sigh of relief, and took a look at the little clock on the wall, it was already half past two. I got up, dusting off my skirt. I decided not to stick around in my room any longer, I needed to be outside.

I traced the same corridor out to the main castle grounds. There were more vampire guards roaming around than usual today, they shot me curious glances but I ignored them.

"Ara?" Nathaniel's voice boomed from the corridors. He stalked quickly towards me as the rest of the vampires cleared the way for him.

He took my hand, bringing me to a quieter corner. "What are you doing here?"

"I needed some air." I told him, confused. "Can't I be out here?"

"You should be resting," He brushed a loose strand of hair away from my face.

"I've had enough rest." I rolled my eyes impatiently.

"You look exhausted, I can get the servants to'-"

"It's fine. I don't need anything." I cut him off.

"What's wrong?" He asked with his grey eyes piercing into mine, searching for answers. Damn him and his unbelievably handsome features.

"Everything is wrong, Nathaniel." I said, frustrated.

"What do you mean?" He asked quizzically.

I turned away, unsure if I should speak my mind. I was tired of fighting after all the quarrels we've had. But he tilted my head towards him, inching closer until there was nothing but a finger's worth of space between us. "Tell me, Ara."

"When were you planning on telling me about Vanessa?" I asked softly.

I saw his jaw clench, but his voice was gentle. "What did she say to you again?"

"She told me the truth."

"it's more complicated than you think," he sighed.

"I know it's complicated. But it isn't fair to me. I'm tired of waiting on you, Nathaniel. I'm tired of being a second priority to you. I''m tired of not knowing what exactly i mean to you, I don't even know where I stand." I said coldly.

Nathaniel's eyes softened, "I'm sorry Ara. I know i've been neglecting you. There's just been a lot going on..."

"You can talk to me. I'm your mate Nathaniel, can't you trust me enough with your problems?"

Nathaniel kept silent for awhile, his brooding eyes staring at the piece of cement above me. Before he pulled away and shook his head slightly, "I can't."

_________________________________________________

Nathaniel's POV

"You can talk to me. I'm your mate Nathaniel, can't you trust me enough with your problems?" Ara said tenderly, her hand reaching for my cheek.

But I couldn't. There are too many secrets she cannot know. This boundary between werewolves and vampires has been drawn too wide. How could I let her know of my plans to wipe out her kind? She would hate me, she could not understand. I have done too much wrong to her to ever be able to make up for it, I have taken away too much from her. She would hate me if she knew, she could never be able to love me again. But I never want her to stop loving me.

"I can't." I said simply.

Ara's mouth hung slightly apart, her beautiful blue eyes filled with hurt. I have hurt her again. She bites down on her lips hard, I know she does this when she is trying not to cry. She tries walking away, but I can't help but grab her with my arms and pin her against the wall.

I hug her tightly, as she stood unresponsively. "I'm sorry, i'm sorry" I breathe into her neck. "I'm sorry Ara, I can't right now."

She struggles in my arms and I let her go. "Okay," she chokes out before walking away.

The sound of her footsteps getting increasingly distant haunts me, she is leaving me broken. Something in me resonates with pain, I want something I should not have. 

_______________________________________________________________

Dun dun dun, told you guys the next update would be very soon!! Hope you all liked this chapter. I know they keep fighting and people are asking when is the happily ever after going to come. But hey, everything good is worth waiting for. I started this book with a complete plot in my head and exactly how it's going to end. So trust me, I'm not making them fight for the fun of it! It's all part of something bigger.

Don't forget to comment and vote! <3