A Letter in the Mail

"Mr Albedo, the mail is here!" Sucrose called, thumbing through a few sheets of paper. It didn't look to be anything out of the ordinary, just the regular check-up from Master Jean, a hand-written note from Klee asking to go fish-blasting, a letter from the Feiyun Commerce Guild, and a-

Wait, what? The Feiyun Commerce Guild? What could they possibly want to do with Mr. Albedo? Sucrose thought to herself. I'd better go and ask Mr. Albedo to take a look at this before opening it myself.

Sucrose rushed to Albedo's door, tucking one strand of green hair behind her ears. The sign hung up on the door read Experiment in Progress, but Sucrose knew Albedo wouldn't mind.

She blushed just at the thought of seeing him lift his head from his work, face her, a smile on his face. Albedo really was too nice to her.

"Mr. Albed-" Sucrose opened the door and bumped into something immediately. Or rather, someone.

Albedo had been standing right behind the door, evidently about to open it and come out as well. Sucrose stared into his face, noticing, in the back of her suddenly fuzzy mind, just how close they were. She was practically close enough to lean forward and brush that stray lock of blonde hair off his forehead.

"Hello, Sucrose." Albedo didn't move from where he was standing. Sucrose clenched her hand at her side, trying not to move forward a little bit more and sweep that taunting piece of hair out of his eyes.

"Did you need something?" Agh, Sucrose had been staring again. She shook her head a little, mentally shaking herself out of her reverie.

"I was going through the mail that came in today, and I noticed that there's a letter from the Feiyun Commerce Guild." Sucrose explained, showing Albedo the letter with the brown-gold wax seal on the front, clearly indicating that this was an important letter.

"I see. Go on," Albedo began walking down the corridor towards the kitchen where the two took their meals. Sucrose struggled to keep up, talking as she hurried forward.

"And, well, I thought that it was pretty abnormal to receive a letter from Liyue, because I understand you don't have many correspondents from there, except Xingqiu." Xingqiu was an author that Albedo illustrated for. Sucrose had read one or two of his books, noting that they were quite good, although she had mostly only paid attention to the art.

"Hmm. Let me get something to eat, and I'll take a look at it." Albedo leaned into a cupboard, searching for some ingredients. He turned around and smiled at Sucrose, who flushed pink.

It felt like Sucrose had earned something, or won a prize, whenever she got a smile from Albedo. Although, he was her mentor, so perhaps it should feel nice whenever she earned praise. Yes, that was it.

Albedo made some Sunshine Sprats. Sucrose laughed slightly as she went through the rest of the mail. Sunshine Sprats were about the only thing Albedo could cook, everything else Sucrose had to make for him. Sometimes, she worried what Albedo would do without her.

"Why are you laughing, Sucrose?" Albedo sat down at the table and picked up a fork, staring quizzically at her. She stopped laughing, her hands in the middle of sealing a letter.

"Oh, I was only reflecting on how funny it is that you're a renowned alchemist, yet you can't even make your own food." Sucrose let out a light giggle, not noticing how Albedo's cheeks filled with pink at the sound.

"Ahem." Albedo cleared his throat. "Shall we, um, peruse the letter now?" he asked, putting the dishes in the sink and returning to the table.

"Right, of course." Sucrose handed him the letter. Their fingertips brushed for a brief moment, sending electricity down Sucrose's arms. Albedo withdrew his hands quickly and coughed a little. 

Albedo peeled open the letter and read out loud:

Dear Mr. Albedo,

My name is Baowen, from the Feiyun Commerce Guild. I am a social representative, of which the Commerce Guild has employed to write a proposal to you.

Liyue has always been a prosperous city, full of life and contracts, watched by the Archon Rex Lapis. However, our alchemy branch has been, to say the least, non-existent. 

If you have ever been to Liyue, you'll notice that the alchemy store usually has no one to run it, and the condition of the store itself is quite deplorable. Hardly anyone ever uses the crafting bench, save for the occasional traveler or two looking to replenish their supplies.

The Feiyun Commerce Guild has decided that it would be greatly beneficial to establish an alchemy branch in Liyue. However, as said before, alchemy as a craft is obscure in Liyue, meaning that hardly anyone knows how to teach, instruct, and establish alchemy.

This is where you come in. The Feiyun Commerce Guild would like to formally invite you, Mr. Albedo, and up to one other person to come to Liyue and assist in establishing an alchemy branch.

Please consider our offer, as it is made with the best of regards. All travel accommodations will be made if you decide to accept. The details will be decided once you arrive.

It would be most prudent to write a letter back in reply once you have decided.

谢谢,

Baowen, of the Feiyun Commerce Guild

Albedo closed the letter and thought it over for a moment. Sucrose watched him anxiously, anticipating his answer.

"I believe I will go." Albedo decided, glancing down at the letter again. Pulling out fresh paper and ink, Sucrose quickly penned a reply to the Feiyun Commerce Guild.

"I think it's incredible that Liyue has decided to establish an alchemy branch." Sucrose said, talking as she wrote. "Just think, there are probably plenty of people in Liyue who would love alchemy, but have just never had a chance to try it."

"I agree." Albedo nodded, rereading the letter once more. He took a deep breath, summoning the courage to ask. "Um, the letter says I can bring up to one person along with me."

"It does," Sucrose said noncommittally, not quite paying attention to what Albedo was saying. 

"Would you like to go with me?" Albedo asked, watching Sucrose write the letter. "As- as my assistant, of course." He rubbed the back of his neck nervously.

Sucrose lifted her head and looked at Albedo. "I'd love to, Mr. Albedo!" she exclaimed, smiling brightly.

"Ah, right." Albedo blushed pink and tucked a piece of hair behind his ear. "Well, write that in the letter, alright?" 

"Of course I will, Mr. Albedo." Sucrose smiled down at the paper, and quickly scribbled in the fact that she would be coming along. Just the though made her cheeks heat, and a smile crept onto her face. 

I'm going to be travelling to Liyue with Mr. Albedo! Sucrose thought excitedly. 

She sealed the envelope and sent it to Liyue, a smile on her face.