XVII - Eight years prior

JESSIE - eight years prior 

The first time I ever heard about someone actually having sex was three days before the end of my junior year.

Catholic school will do that to you.

It was a cold morning, wind off the water chilling the city and the summer sun wasn't quite strong enough yet to take it on.

I didn't know what the day would bring when I walked into the building, my mother had just spent the last few minutes telling me in the car about how girls my age were letting themselves go much more than when she was in high school and picking on a couple of my friend's weights before dropping me off.

It was a weird thing to begin the day with, especially when I knew for a fact that Summer-Lynne was in perfect shape despite my Mom's critiquing.

She wasn't the one that sat us all down at lunch and then pulled the collar of her shirt to the side to show off a deep purple bruise that didn't mean anything to me but was apparently a big deal to Summer.

That was Emma Averly.

"It's a hickey," she proudly proclaimed to the table, letting us all peep at the bruise. I didn't understand what it meant. "It means I made out with someone last night. That's what you get when you make out with people."

"It is?" someone asked. "That's weird, that shouldn't happen, should it?"

Emma smiled, "it's because he kissed my neck a lot, which is so hot, by the way."

"Who was it?" Summer-Lynne twirled her straw around in her carton of milk, pretending not to be interested. I knew for a fact that she'd been made out with before but this was new, she'd never gotten a hickey.

"You won't believe it," Emma shakes her head, smiling. "You guys will never believe me."

"Who was it, Em?" Kelly demanded. "You have to tell us, you have to. Do we know him? Does he go here?"

She nodded.

I knew I had it figured out but I didn't want to say anything. I didn't want to admit it to myself.

"What classes is he in with you?"

"Biology and history."

"What's his hair color?"

"Brown and curly."

The knife wound feeling in my stomach sunk deeper.

"Um, I'm lost, Evan, maybe?"

I raised my hand, "Jorgen, it was Jorgen Hadley, right?"

Emma grinned, nodding, "Jessie got it."

And that was that until after lunch when she pulled me into the girls bathroom with her and knit her fingers together.

"I just, I feel like you'd have a good knowledge of this and I don't know what to do," she started, "we were kissing and then went further and he gave me the hickey and I thought that was going to be the end and then I wanted to get his shirt off and that started a whole new thing and suddenly he was taking off mine and that was so hot and then-"

I was just looking up at her, confused. "Did you want to?"

"Yes, of course, yes," she nodded, "and then he took off our pants and put his hand down there and-"

"Down there?"

She nods, red in the face, "and it felt really good and I wanted something else I just don't know what it was and then he did something with his fingers and it was this like weird and cool feeling that I've never felt before just from that, like my body became lava for a moment."