Chapter 1

//Please mind the tags!!! This story is going to be really heavy on the grieving. Also this takes place 5 years in the future from the current timeline.//

Holding Lotus felt like a nightmare, similar to ones he’s had before, but this was very, very real. The people around him, trying to get answers, were real, the black blood quickly seeping into his shirt, was very real, the way Lotus could barely speak, the way he lay in his arms, limp, no longer breathing, was very, very real. Rurik couldn’t move, he didn’t want to, because his best friend was dead. Lotus was dead. And the man who did this, he laid a few feet away, still breathing. And that alone made Rurik angry, angry in a way he hadn’t been in a long time, angry enough that his body goes into autopilot, he takes the knife from his holster, sets Lotus down as gently as possible, and gets up. He feels hands grabbing him, voices jumbled together, telling him to stop. 

    But he can’t, he can’t let that bastard go. It wasn’t fair, this man tormented Lotus for his entire life. He hurt Lotus, and that still wasn’t enough. It wasn’t fair. How come he had to lose his best friend, but this fucker got to live? The grip on his knife is tight, his knuckles pale because of it, he’s ripped out of the grip of everyone else, leaning down to grab this- this filth . Reaper looked pathetic, it almost made Rurik laugh. He was going to rip this man apart, until a hand gripped his wrist, and pulled him back. His head whips, an argument rises to his throat, but dies there. Palette looks at Rurik through tearful eyes, “No. Don’t do this, look at him Rurik. Really look at him…” “You can’t be serious!-“ “Rurik, listen, I get it ok! I want him dead too, but we can’t stoop to his level!” “And why!? Look at what he did! Why does- does he get to live after doing that!? After taking Lotus from us!-“ ''Would Lotus want you!-“ “Lotus is-is dead!” Rurik shouts, shoving Palette from him, “And don’t you fucking start this with me about being the good guy! You knew about this shit before we did! And you didn’t do shit!” The moment the words left his mouth he regretted it.

    Palette just stared at Rurik, fuck.  “Palette- I- I didn’t-“ “No. No, Rurik just shut up. Lotus kept a lot from all of us, just because he told me doesn’t mean he let me in on his plans! Ok? And you know what, yeah, maybe I should have done something, but every time I tried, he brushed me off, just like you! I tried Rurik, we all did! But killing him, what would that do? That won’t bring Lotus back. That won’t bring him justice, Rurik.” The two look down at the older man, who’s laying down, barely able to hold himself up, hair flat and sticking to his face, he looks like a sick man…. had Lotus done that? “Then… Then what do we do?” Rurik wanted to end this, finish his friend's job… but from the looks of it… Reaper looked sickly, arms covered in thick, black roots. What had Lotus done? the ground around them looked scorched, and the older man hadn’t said anything… He seemed to be winded from just trying to prop himself up… “I-I don’t know… Leave him here and let him rot?” And so they do, as they leave, finally the bastard says something, he outstretches a hand, and ironically, begs for death. Rurik’s half tempted, but the way the man begs… But he looks back over to where Lotus laid, where Palette (now holding Lotus) stood, waiting with a lost look in his eyes. Goth is standing as motionless and empty as he did when he got here… So he leaves.