Chapter 28: Not The Girl You Knew

This is a messy chapter and therefore there are warnings for both mentions of self-harm and smut. Don't ask me how that happened.

''What do you want?'' Katya asked, her voice strained from all the anger she forced back. Her fingernails dug in her palms. Subtly, she tried to look around for any more Flag Smashers possibly going into the house. Of course, after everything that happened yesterday, this came on top of it.

Karli took a step forwards, making Katya want to back up. But she was already at the edge of the dock. One step backwards and she'd fall in the water. Her heart pounded so hard in her chest that she heard it in her ears.

''Relax. I came alone, and I just wanna talk.''

''Well, excuse me if I don't take your word for it,'' Katya spoke poisonously, narrowing her eyes. ''Last time you ''wanted to talk'', you ended up murdering a guy.'' Lemar's lifeless body surfaced in her brain.

Karli's face fell. And was that sadness in her eyes? ''I never meant to kill Lemar. But he got in my way. So let this be a warning.''

''For tonight, right?'' Katya chuckled humorlessly. ''That's what you came here to tell me? Don't worry, we already know you're trying to disrupt the vote. Sam's on top of it.'' 

Karli didn't look very impressed, but annoyance flickered behind her eyes. If she expected Sam to stay away from this, she had guessed wrong. ''You can't stop it. The plan has already been set in motion.''

''Then why are you here? To threaten my family some more?'' Katya's heart beat in her chest. Maya was right inside, and Karli would be able to get to the house before Katya could. Why didn't Natasha sense that something was wrong? Why didn't she come to check on her?

Karli shook her head and took another step forward. Only seven feet separated them now. Katya's heels hit the edge of the dock. ''I am here because I watched that impressive speech you gave the Senator last week. Whether you like to admit it or not, you agree with what I'm doing.''

''I never said I didn't,'' Katya admitted, sweat gathering in her hands. It was horrible to feel so helpless. ''Anyone with a brain can see that what's happening to those refugees is wrong. But the way in which you stand up for them is just as wrong. You hide behind your good intentions, but killing is always wrong, no matter the context.''

''So it won't work if I offer you the chance to join us again.'' Katya stared at Karli like she had gone crazy. Did she truly believe she would join? ''You have a voice in this world, Katya. Power. If they see you working with us, they will have to listen.''

Another step closer.

Katya swallowed her panic down. ''Then why didn't they listen last week? Nobody listens to an ex-assassin, a spy, a killer. Do you really think they will see me as anything other than that if I would join you?'' she pointed out, standing her ground. ''I may have worked with the Avengers for years, but people aren't forgiving, no matter how often they insist they are. So, thanks, but no. Now, I would appreciate it if you never came here again.''

Karli took another step closer. Only five feet now. ''I wasn't asking.''

Katya took a deep breath and took a step closer herself. She wasn't necessarily afraid of Karli, but more of her power. ''Neither am I.'' They stared into each other's eyes, the tension building. ''You're messing with the wrong people, girl. But I admire your guts.''

A lot could happen now. Karli could attack her, punch her across the face, or maybe even push her in the lake. Not sure which one was worse with her fear of water.