~Chapter 40~

Skye's POV

My frown deepened with every sharp blow I exerted on the piece of wood I was working on with my hammer. I was mad, no denying that but more than anything, I was upset.

Ever since Valerie and I talked to my dad, I've been spending most of my time in my tree house either carving or making something out of wood. It's the only way to keep me grounded and not do something impulsive.

The reason why I was upset was because Valerie had asked me to be her date today at her dad's wedding. I was elated to simply put it into words but in reality my happiness couldn't even be defined.

Since I had promised to be her date and now that I couldn't stay true to my word, I went for the next best option. I didn't want her to be stood up so I asked Ivan to tag along and be her plus one. I was immensely jealous to do that but I trust my best friend with my whole life. Besides, I wasn't even left with a choice.

Suddenly, my cell phone pinged, bringing me out of my hollow thoughts. If the wood I was working on had its own point of view, it would be something like this: 'oh, thank the high and mighty heavens. Now I am being relieved from the clutches of this monstrous beast. He is but merciful and my already broken self was about to break into two.'

Blinking, I just cringed at myself. God, I am getting beyond crazy right now. All I need right now is Valerie's beautiful and inspirational words, warm cosy hugs and most of all, her kisses which could make me forget about the whole damn world.

Another chime from my phone caught my attention and I quickly retrieved it from my pocket. Sighing, I unlocked it and saw two messages from Ivan. When I opened it, I saw that one of them was an image.

Confusedly, I clicked on the image and just in the next instant, my heart skipped a beat. It was a picture of Valerie. She looked gorgeous in her maroon dress as she was holding a glass of champagne and staring into space with a wistful expression gleaming on her face. From the looks of it, I could tell that it was a candid picture.

I didn't even know that I was doing it until my finger slightly brushed the screen of my phone or more like her face and my lips pulled up into a loving smile reserved just for her.

Yes, that would be right. During my stay at my grandparents' place all those years ago, she always made me feel… perfect. She never might have realized it or known about it yet but the moment she had smiled at me for the first time ever, it was also the moment I fell in love with her.

Though I had realized it just recently as I started spending more and more time with her. The best part about hanging out with her would be that I've never felt insecure about myself around her.

I stopped staring at her beautiful picture and read Ivan's text below. I hope you're jealous that I am with her and I bet you are. Imagine me smirking right now.

Rolling my eyes, I put my phone aside with a wide, happy smile on my face. You see, that's what I was talking about. Just a second of Valerie could keep my anger at bay and she didn't even know that since she's been avoiding me and my messages for days now.

The same thing had happened when I had seen her in the mall. Bribing him with the video gaming stuff, Shivaay never ceases to help me when it comes to Valerie. He had suggested that I come there and talk to her. Although, my heart cracked a bit when she acted so indifferent toward me. I couldn't blame her either because she was only following my dad's orders.

I didn't try to go see her in her apartment to check up on her because that might put Valerie in grave danger. Our reputation of being together was getting worse. That was the exact same reason I had sent Ivan to be her date.