Sixteen

"I'm negative and we came as fast as I could," Mallie said quickly, she and Saffie hurrying into the waiting room where Maggie was waiting for them.

"Mal, Saf," Maggie sighed. Mallie's face fell as she realised what she was saying.

"He's gonna die. It's too far gone," she said.

"Yeah," Maggie said softly. "But Jennifer is here and they're both asking to see you guys," she said.

"Okay," Saffie nodded.

They followed Maggie through the corridors, seeing Vic and the other members of station 19 stood in a waiting room.

"Wait," Mallie said. Maggie stopped and Mallie whistled loudly. "Victoria Hughes, haul ass!" she called.

Vic looked over with wide eyes.

"Yes, you. Let's go. Let's go," she said.

Vic hurried over and Sullivan nodded gratefully at Mallie. She nodded back, the three women following Maggie towards Lucas' room.

"Vic, before we go in there, you should know what his condition is," Saffie said.

"Is it bad?" Vic asked.

"It's too far. He's not responding the way he should and his calcium levels are too low. Right now, all we can do is make him comfortable," Mallie said.

Vic stared at Mallie with wide eyes. Mallie squeezed her shoulder and pushed open Ripley's door, stepping inside.

Lucas was lying in the bed with an O2 tube in his nose, looking half dead already.

"Kiddo," Jennifer smiled tearfully, standing up and pulling Mallie into a hug. "Luke was telling me you have a girlfriend now!" she said.

"Luke should be focusing on his own relationship right now," Mallie said, glaring at Luke over her shoulder. "He shouldn't be doing stupid shit like this," she said.

"Oh, come on, Mal. You said I was your favourite uncle a few hours ago and now you hate me again," Lucas said.

"I said I was your favourite niece, not that you were my favourite uncle," Mallie said, letting go of Jennifer to hug him. "But, for the record, you are. Don't tell Sully or he'll never let me forget it," she said.

"Thank you," Luke sighed, rubbing her back. Mallie grabbed his hand and smiled through the tears in her eyes. "You, uh, look out for Vic, alright?" he said quietly.

"I will. Promise," Mallie nodded. He nodded, squeezing her hand.

"Keep your head up, alright? You have something special with Amelia. Don't let it go," he whispered.

"I know," Mallie sighed. She leaned down and hugged him carefully. "I'm sorry I spent so long hating you. I do love you," she said.

"I love you more, kiddo. Always will. Don't forget your uncle Luke," Luke said.

"I won't," Mallie mumbled.

Mallie pulled back, letting Saffie take her place to say goodbye.

"Amelia's on her way down," Maggie said quietly. "I called her," she said.

"Why?" Mallie frowned, stepping out of the room to give them some privacy. She noticed that Jennifer had disappeared, probably to get Sullivan, and Travis was waiting by the door with Vic.

"Because, uh," Maggie trailed off as she motioned to the door. "Your uncle is dying," she said awkwardly.

Mallie nodded once, eyes falling to Vic.