one

A Turn of Pace

Time. What did time mean to you?

When you were younger, you wished to be able to turn back time. Shadows lurked behind every corner you turned, labeled as regrets you shrugged off your shoulders — stalking you, even in your dreams.

The bleak street you walked in was desolate, the brisk wind sending shivers down your spine. In the corner of your eye were flickering streetlights, a subtle rustle from a stray cat following after.

As an average senior high-schooler, you were the one who'd hang out every once in a while. You stretched your sore arms, reminding yourself that you were nearly home. For some reason, you had been feeling down in the slums.

No, it wasn't because you'd been staying back late for your sports tournament. It wasn't because of your grades either.

"Ugh, I feel like crap," you grumbled to yourself.

What a day to turn 17, you thought, dissatisfied with your birthday.

Similar to the lonely night, you'd also been feeling that way too. Maybe it was part of growing up, but you knew it was inevitable.

You squinted your eyes, noticing a miniature figure that was quickly flying in your direction.

Panic overcame you as you swiftly crouched below, hoping and praying to nobody that it wouldn't hit you. Suddenly, you could hear the soft swish from the wind blow past above you.

The frigid air grew chillier, following as a gust of wind blew strands of your hair into the icy air. A loud thud echoed as it hit the streetlight next to you.

You sneaked a glimpse in front of you, still crouching and cradling your trembling knees.

A tall white-haired man stood, his posture cocky and lighthearted despite the situation. His clothes were as dark as the starry vault above.

You could point out his light skin and curling lips as he approached you both. Strangely, he wore a blindfold.

"Oh my, what a surprise," He grinned.

You looked back down at the dry cold tile below you, hearing the creature behind chant its last words before turning into blown ashes.

...What the hell?

* * * *

Before you could rationalize your thoughts, you were already walking side-by-side with this stranger. He introduced himself as Gojo Satoru, but you didn't even care. You wanted to get out of... whatever this was.

"You saw that curse, right?" He asked, breaking the tense silence.

Curse?

"The monster? Uh, yeah," You replied, trying your best not to stutter.

"Have you been seeing them often?"

"No, this is my first," You stopped walking, heart racing at how he might respond to what you would say next.

"Look, I just wanna go home. My mom's probably worried sick for me."

"Your mother?" He questioned.

You cast a side-eyed glance to him, eyebrows furrowed with suspicion.

Gojo sighed.

"You can't just run away from what just happened."

He continued,

"Your life might be in danger and honestly, I wouldn't let you off the hook that easily."

He smiled, trying to reassure you.

"I won't hurt you."

You glared at him with doubt, gritting your teeth. You couldn't possibly run from him. What he could do... were supernatural.

Damn it. The hell did I do in my last life?

Sighing, you let yourself finally give in as your scattered thoughts settled.

"Let me call my mother first," You said.

He eyed your phone warily as you pulled it out from your beige jacket. You were still in your uniform and desperately missed the comfort of your home.

"Mom?" You've never lied to her.

You could feel the guilt creep in,

"Yeah, there was an accident. I'll stay with my friend."

The anxious tone of her voice was evident.

"Mhm, I'll come back tomorrow. It's Friday, right?"

You ended the call and placed the bright phone back into your coat.

"What do you want?" You asked, cutting to the point.

You could feel your irritation rise as he smiled innocently and replied,

"There are others like you who can see curses."

He continued explaining.

"Curses are creatures who manifest negative human emotions like regrets and anger. They can harm other people, so those who can see them..."

He raised his hands as if surrendering to a kindergarten student,

"Exterminate them!"

You frowned at him. Why is he treating me like a kid?

"Those who do that are called Jujutsu Sorcerers. I'm one myself. We have a school dedicated to training them against the curses."

You didn't want any of this. You glanced at the park beside you as you stood in the street.

"Do I have a choice?"

Gojo looked at you, no longer seeing you as a child but instead, a pitiful human caught up in this mess.

"No, not really."