Chapter Eighteen

Gretchen didn't know how anyone could look so peaceful while their friends were worried sick about them. But Albert didn't know that. He just slept soundly while she, Race, and Monroe kept him company. In the mornings, Gretchen would sit with Albert. Monroe and Race would return sometime in the afternoon, after they had finished work. They didn't talk about it, but Gretchen knew they, along with all the newsies, were selling extra papers to cover the hospital bill.

On the third day, Monroe came back early. She sat in the chair on the other side of Albert's bed and sighed deeply. Gretchen hadn't spoken to her since they arrived in the first place. She decided to speak anyway.

"You sold out early," Gretchen remarked softly. Monroe was never this early to return to the hospital.

Monroe nodded slowly. "The headline was good," she replied. "Thought I'd come early since I finished sellin'."

Gretchen hummed quietly and nodded. She wanted to carry on a conversation with Monroe, but she didn't know how. The girl didn't seem interested in her. Taking a deep breath, Gretchen looked at Monroe. "I'm sorry about what happened the other day. The...the whole argument we had."

"I dunno why you're apologizin' to me. He's the one you fought with." Monroe shrugged, looking right back at Gretchen.

"I'm apologizing to you because of what the argument was about," Gretchen explained. "I thought you were-"

"I know what you thought." Monroe cut her off with a wave of her hand. "He told me."

"Oh" was all Gretchen could say in response. She had a huge apology planned, but that really messed it up. "I should apologize anyway."

"Why?"

"Because I shouldn't have thought about you that way. I misjudged you from the beginning, and I'm sorry. I should have trusted you more, and I should have trusted Albert more," Gretchen answered.

Monroe took a few minutes to respond. "I misjudged you too at first, ya know. I thought that just 'cause you still had your family and that you had money, you were spoiled. An' I didn't want ya anywhere near Al." Gretchen was taken aback at this. She knew Monroe didn't like her, and now she knew why. Monroe continued, "The past few days, you've proved me wrong. It's clear you care 'bout 'im."

Gretchen nodded slowly. "I do," she replied.

"He really cares 'bout you, too." Monroe gave her the smallest of smiles, and Gretchen returned it almost immediately. "I think he would be happy ta' know that we're gettin' along."

"I think so, too," Gretchen agreed. Maybe Monroe wasn't so bad after all. They seemed to get along just fine.

The rest of the day seemed to pass somewhat quickly. Monroe and Gretchen talked until Race arrived, and he eagerly joined in on their conversation. It was the first time they hadn't sat around the bed in silence. The room had a much lighter, happier feel than it had that morning. And Gretchen was glad for it. The circumstances may not have been what she would have expected, but she gained two new friends that afternoon.

The three of them left the hospital together that evening. Gretchen walked alongside Race and Monroe until she had to part ways with them. They said goodnight with the promise of seeing each other the next day.