Restful Darkness (Levi x Umbrakinetic Reader)

Author's Note: Here's another oneshot brought to you by the following quote from "A Court of Mist and Fury" by Sarah J. Maas:

"'There are different kinds of darkness,' Rhys said. I kept my eyes shut. 'There is the darkness that frightens, the darkness that soothes, the darkness that is restful.' I pictured each. 'There is the darkness of lovers, and the darkness of assassins. It becomes what the bearer wishes it to be, needs it to be. It is not wholly bad or good.'"

"Please, don't tell anyone!" you begged.

"(F/n), shh...shh..." Levi spoke, trying to calm you. "I won't tell anyone, alright? Not if you don't want me to."

Although your body still shook with the echoes of fear, you felt some slight relief. You knew Levi was good on his word, and the sincerity in his eyes right now only reinforced that assurance. Your secret was safe...for a little while longer, at least.

It had all happened so fast. While Mike Squad was fighting a horde of titans in a dense forest, a giant hand hit you from behind. You were sent flying through the trees, far away from the rest of your squad. Although you were mercilessly scratched and smacked by branches along the way, thankfully, you didn't find yourself splattered against a tree trunk. Instead, you landed painfully on the forest floor – head ringing, muscles throbbing, and your gear completely busted.

Levi had rushed after you. But just as he knelt at your side to make sure you were alright, an abnormal jumped out from behind a tree, mouth open wide. There wasn't time to get out of the way, and instead, Levi wrapped his arms around you as if on instinct, putting his body between yours and those deadly jaws, even though it was likely pointless. Left with no other option, you threw out your hand, using the power you had sworn to keep hidden forever. At your command, shadows rose, took shape, and slashed the titan's neck in the split second before it would have reached you and your squadmate.

Now, Levi's arms were still around you, and he could feel you trembling. He was obviously shocked at what you had just done, but he had always been good at controlling his emotions and focusing on the task at hand. Right now, the priority was making sure you were alright.

"Easy," he murmured, petting your hair in a surprisingly soothing gesture. Once your shaking had faded, he began examining the wounds that littered your body, asking, "Is anything injured badly?"

"I think...my leg might be broken..." you quavered, your voice strangled not by the pain, but by your lingering anxiety.

Levi slid his arms from around you so that he could examine your leg, while simultaneously keeping an eye out for titans. "So...what exactly was that? I mean...the way you killed it..." he asked carefully as his fingers gently prodded along the bone.

You swallowed the lump in your throat, then explained quietly, "Umbrakinesis – shadow manipulation. It, um...runs in my family, I guess."

"Why not tell anyone?" Levi wondered, getting up to search the ground nearby for some sticks to set your leg with. "Judging by what you just did, an ability like that would be a great asset to the Scouts."

The question made your blood run cold. "My mother told people..." you whispered, your body once again trembling at the mere memory. "She wanted to use her powers to help, but...one night, the Wall Cult came. They...said she was a witch, and...and they took her."

Levi stopped what he was doing to look at you.

Your eyes remained locked on the grass, tears beginning to prick them. "She told me to hide..." you continued, your voice hoarse as you recounted the trauma that you had kept bottled up for years, never feeling safe enough to share it. "But I still saw what h-happened to her. They d-dragged her into our yard, and...they burned her..."