Chapter - 08

Closing her eyes, she took a deep breath.

" I-I can't." She let out. The church became uncomfortably quiet.

......................

Flashback Continues

" Brae?" I was genuinely confused, her words not registering in my mind. She pulled her hands out of mine.

" E-Evan , I c-can't marry you. I am s-sorry." She stuttered. The church broke down into murmurs. I couldn't understand what action of mine made her so angry that she was saying all this. I walked closer, putting my hands out for her but she  took two steps back.

" Brae , what happened?" My attention was solely focussed on her face waiting for her to crack a smile, accept her poor ability at cracking a joke.

"This wedding can't happen." A strange uneasiness was settling in the pit of my stomach.

"Tell me what's bothering you? Whatever it is , we can solve it . Please calm down, baby." I knew whatever it was , we could solve it by talking.

" No Evan I can't do this. I am sorry. I can't." She stepped down and started walking out, fuelling the murmurs and gossips. I too stepped down after her. Holding her by her arm , I yanked her back.

" Brae what is wrong with you? Why are you doing this?" I was frustrated with her behaviour. She never behaved so irrationally. Whatever she was doing wasn't funny at all.

" Evan-" I cut her off.

" Okay , okay listen, if you're upset with me, tell me what have I done wrong, I will correct it. We can solve it baby. Please don't walk away." I pleaded with her.

" No we can't Evan! It's over. " A wave of shock passed over me at how easily she could say those words.

" How can you say that Brae ? Nothing is over between us. It can't be." The thought alone was causing an immense pain in my heart .

" It is Evan. It is." Struggling her way out of my arms , she started walking out at a faster pace, but I still couldn't give up. I wasn't ready to let her go. She was out of the church when I gripped her wrist. She stopped walking but didn't turn.

" Bella…" I whispered. I felt her freeze at that.

My voice was shaky. It felt like I was in a nightmare and was on the verge of crying.

"I love you." It came out as a plea from my mouth . The thought of living without her was so scary for me that I was ready to beg her.

" I don't."  I felt my heart break into a million pieces. How could she even say that?

" You're lying, Bella." My grip on her wrist tightened.

" No I am not." Her response was spontaneous.

" Yes, you are! Look into my eyes and say that you don't love me." I shouted. I was sure that she wouldn't be able to say those words once she would look into my eyes.

" Say it Bella , say that you don't love me. Look at me and say it." A painful second passed before she turned around and looked emotionlessly into my eyes.

" I. Don't. Love. You. Evan. Lewis." She did it. She said those words looking into my eyes and crushed my heart. The hit of the shock caused me to take a step back, my hand leaving her wrist.

" Why?" My voice was full of despair. The agony in my heart was increasing with each passing second, as if someone was gripping my heart and squeezing it. She looked conflicted for a second before composing herself.