Chapter Thirty-Seven - Picking up Scents

Norah and Hanna were on their feet before I could say anything else.

We sprinted out of the diner, passing the waitress who was on her way to our table with our food as we were on our way out the door.

Running to Luca's Jeep, which was parked on the curb, I got into the driver's seat and started the engine.

I nearly hit the car that was parked in front of us as I slammed my foot down on the gas pedal, swerving from the parking lane into the street.

I heard several cars honking behind us as I drove away quickly.

Looking in the rearview mirror, I glanced back at the bus stop to see Alpha Reid was gone.

Had I just imagined it?

"Carrie, watch out!" Norah screamed from the passenger seat.

My eyes returned to the road in front of me to see Alpha Reid standing in the middle of the street. I slammed on the breaks and the Jeep skidded across the pavement, stopping right in front of him.

I gulped, noticing the dark circles around his brown eyes and the way his once tan-complected face was now pale and dull.

I quickly put the Jeep into reverse and hit the gas pedal.

What I didn't realize were Alpha Reid's hands that gripped the bull bar on the front of the Jeep, holding it in place. The tires spun on the concrete, but the Jeep remained stationary.

"What the fuck," Norah muttered next to me, eyebrows furrowing.

I put the Jeep into neutral and pushed down on the gas pedal, revving the engine as a warning.

"Move!" I yelled.

There was a crowd of people that lined the street, watching.

Alpha Reid let go of the bull bar and walked around to the driver's side door.

"You have one week," he said, his broken voice muffled by the window that separated us.

"One week, and then I won't be able to stop him," he repeated.

His defeated expression gave me pause. He looked so much like Mady in that moment.

I unbuckled my seatbelt, and opened the car door. Reaching up, before I could let myself think about it, I hugged him as tight as I could.

The man had practically help raise me. He had always been supportive, even stepping in to co-sign with me on my tuition loans for college after my parents backed out. He bought my art at a school auction and hung it in his chambers at the courthouse. He offered me wisdom as a little girl, a teenager, and as an adult.

And all I could offer in his time of defeat was a hug.

"I'm so sorry," he whispered.

He let go of me and walked away, disappearing into the crowds.

I turned to Norah, watching her climb over the console into the driver's seat.

"I'll drive," she told me, giving me a sympathetic look.

When I turned back to look for Alpha Reid, he was gone.

I wasn't until I walked around to the passenger side door that I saw my reflection and realized I had tears rolling down my face. I wiped them away before climbing into the car and buckling up.

Norah began to drive away as I pulled my phone from my purse. Calling Luca, I pressed the phone to my ear.

"So you changed your mind–" he started.