xxxvi. water sucks, i want a new dad

chapter thirty-six

─── water sucks, i want a new dad

          𝕾hips really were my thing

The Queen Anne's Revenge responded to my every command. I knew which ropes to hoist, which sails to raise, which direction to steer. We ploughed through the waves at what I figured was about ten knots. I even understood how fast that was.

It all felt perfect—the wind in my face, the waves breaking over the prow.

But now that we were out of danger, all I could think about was how much I missed Tyson, and how worried I was about Grover. This was a lot of stress for me.

We sailed through the night. Luke stood with me, watching the horizon and both of us kept to our own thoughts for the most part.

More than once I spotted monsters. A plume of water as tall as a skyscraper spewed into the moonlight. A row of green spines slithered across the waves—something maybe a hundred feet long, reptilian. I really didn't want to know and this entire sea was giving me the creeps.

Why couldn't my godly parent be the patron of puppies or something?

A volcanic island came into view next and Luke hummed as the sea bubbled around the shore.

"One of the forges of the gods. I'd steer well clear," I nodded, directing the ship before I turned back to Luke.

"What did she say to you?"

"What?"

"Circe. I doubt you would have drunk a weird potion willingly, so what did she say?" Luke paused, chewing on his lips with a face I knew well. It was a 'something was said and it upset me and now I keep thinking about it.' "So, she did say something."

"Don't worry about it."

"I do though." I leant on the wall next to him, threading my hand through his. "You're quieter than usual and you're under a lot of stress. I want to help, if I can."

There was another stretch of silence, before Luke started to speak.

"You know my twentieth birthday was this year?" I nodded my head. We'd gone and had dinner in the city for it. "Well, Mr. D had a talk with me about leaving camp."

"What?" I snapped my head up, staring at him.

"I'm twenty and they need the space in Eleven for the new campers to stay. He told me that I needed to move out, so that there was more room for the others. I've overstayed my welcome," A weight left Luke's shoulders as he slowly began to tell me everything. It started with Mr. D asking him to leave camp, to the struggle that he was then going to face in the mortal world as he had no school diploma or college degree, the fact that Thalia's tree was poisoned and Annabeth would be left alone if that tree died and Luke had to move out, as well as the war that was coming. "So yeah, I'm stressed."