xxxvii. are sheep supposed to be carnivorous?

chapter thirty-seven

─── are sheep supposed to be carnivorous?

          𝕿here was only one evil thing about this island (a rope bridge across a chasm) and I was very disappointed with it. This was not living up to evil villain lair standards. I'd seen toddler rooms with more evil than this!

We sailed closer to shore and both Luke and I shared a look at the surge of power that overcame both of us.

"That's the Fleece, alright," Luke murmured. 

"If we take it away, will the island die?"

"It'll fade and go back to looking like it used to," Luke shook his head again. "But we're doing this for Thalia and the Camp. That's more important."

I nodded, reaching for his hand, as we continued to sail around the island. At the base of a ravine, several dozen sheep milled around, about the size of hippos.

Just past them was a path that led up into the hills. At the top of the path, near the edge of the canyon, was the massive oak tree I'd seen in my dreams. Something gold glittered in its branches.

"This is too easy," I said. "We could just hike up there and take it?"

"There's supposed be a guardian. A dragon or..."

That's when a deer emerged from the bushes. It trotted into the meadow, probably looking for grass to eat, when the sheep all bleated at once and rushed the animal. It happened so fast that the deer stumbled and was lost in a sea of wool and trampling hooves.

Grass and tufts of fur flew into the air.

A second later the sheep all moved away, back to their regular peaceful wanderings. Where the deer had been was a pile of clean white bones.

"Since when did sheep eat venison?" I broke the silence, turning to look at Luke. "That was not taught in my biology class!"

"Andi, look," Luke pointed down to the right, where a small boat had been run aground. "CSS Birmingham."

"Clarisse is here then," We both decided then and there that we should go and find Grover and whoever had come ashore, assuming they had gotten past the sheep. I was secretly hoping that Tyson was also alive.

We moored the Queen Anne's Revenge on the back side of the island where the cliffs rose straight up a good two hundred feet. I figured the ship was less likely to be seen there. The cliffs looked climbable, barely—about as difficult as the lava wall back at camp. At least it was free of sheep. I hoped that Polyphemus did not also keep carnivorous mountain goats.