29. Perspective

Note: This is an immediate continuation from the chapter before. It's another Em-heavy chapter I'm afraid. What can I say - I'm a woman. 

DAN

I drifted in and out of an uneasy consciousness, the few moments of sleep I had managed were brief and unsatisfying. Everytime I closed my eyes I was sucked into a whirlpool of thoughts.

There was still no news. 

I rolled over once more and bumped up against something, or rather someone. 

I hesitated, the thought of her warm, soft body was inviting and somehow comforting. I nestled a little nearer, until my nose was almost touching the skin at her neck where the faintest trace of perfume still lingered. Reassured, I draped my arm lightly around her waist and drew her a little closer to me, noticing as I did so just how well we fitted together, and how much calmer I suddenly felt. 

I felt her stir beneath me and  forced myself to feign the breathing of  deep slumber while inside I was holding my breath. Don't move away I begged silently, content just to lie there and enjoy the contact for as long as it lasted. 

"Em?" I whispered some time later as she fidgeted, muttering something unintelligible into the pillow. 

"Em?" I whispered again

"Ssssss toooo hot, mmmmmmmmsomeoneturnedmmmmmfuckingovenonnnnnndnowsunjoinedin" she slurred as I tried not to laugh. 

"Come here" I chuckled. She rolled over obediently and flopped onto my chest,  lying there as inert and helpless as a kitten as I attempted to drag the shirt over her head. My stomach lurched with every accidental brush of skin against skin, until they were no longer accidental. 

"Better?" I enquired once I'd removed the offending article.

"Mmmmm" she grunted in agreement,  snuggling closer onto my shoulder. I drew her in tighter, threading my fingers through the touchable tangle of curls that the rain had mischievously created, feeling her purr contentedly beneath my touch.

"I think you're awesome" she mumbled sleepily "Can I keep you?" It didn't matter that she was barely conscious, the words were like a tonic to my exhausted brain.

 "I bloody hope so" I whispered hoarsely "I don't care what happened anymore but don't you dare fucking scare me like that again"

 I closed my eyes.

Sleep finally beckoned. 

EM

I awoke at a far more sensible hour to the smell of shower gel and coffee. The coffee was by the bed, the shower gel scent was presumably emanating from the same source as the sound of running water. Both were exceptionally appealing.

Dan emerged from the bathroom, dark hair and toned torso glistening from the shower, jeans slung loosely round his hips. I gazed at him for a little too long, unsure if I still had permission to touch, or just to look. There were shadows under his eyes but he'd lost the vacant, shellshocked expression he had worn the night before. Now he just looked drained. Drained but gorgeous. The thought seemed inappropriate, almost obscene under the circumstances and I fought to escape from it. Short of gouging out my eyes however, there was no escaping the view.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you, just needed to clear my head y'know?"

I knew.

"Any news?" I asked him warily.