CHAPTER SIXTEEN

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

The room was dark and Liliya and Aleksander were asleep. The redhead was lying on her side. Aleksander lying face down. They - for once - refrained from cuddling. Liliya didn't want to wake him with her eventual nightmares or crying. He deserved sleep. He needed decent sleep and she knew that sleeping next to him meant he wouldn't be getting it. Liliya didn't know how else to do it so she had stayed there.

But like the past night, she woke up halfway through the night. Her eyes shooting open as a sob escaped her lips. Her hand moved to cover her mouth as a few more sobs escaped her lips. She couldn't control the tears that flowed down her cheeks. Her head lifted and she gently pushed the covers back. Her body shaking as she climbed out of bed.

Her feet padded against the wooden floor as she got to the bathroom. The room was gloomy but she knew her way around it. Her hand reaching for the door handle and she gently pushed it open. Her sleep-addled mind just wanted her to get in the bathroom to deal with the tears before Aleksander saw but she didn't bother to check if he'd woken up or not.

Part of her didn't care and she just needed to mop up the tears. Her hands reaching out for the towel and pushing it against her face. It smelt like lavendar which helped her calm down. She forced herself to take long slow breaths, breathing deeply. Her hands were still shaking and the images from her nightmare plagued her but she calmed.

Then she felt a hand on her waist and they tugged. Liliya stumbled around and pulled the cloth away to look up. Aleksander stood there. His face clouded in shadow due to the gloomy room but she knew it was him. His hand reached out to cup her face and he gently brushed some of the tears away. It looked like he was frowning but Liliya couldn't be sure.

"What happened?" He asked as he looked into her eyes. Liliya sighed and dropped the cloth on the sink before she wrapped her arms around his torso. Her face buried in his chest and she just listened to his heart beat for a moment, "Milaya," He added. A prompt to get her to explain but Liliya suddenly didn't feel like explaining at all. She didn't want to say anything but she had to.

"A nightmare, again," She mumbled before she pulled away from him. She wiped under her eyes again, sniffling before she walked past Aleksander back into the bedroom. He followed behind her and Liliya reached out to grab her flint and steel. With a flick of her hand, the candles in the room had been relit and she sat down on the bed.

The puffy redness of her face was now clear to him and he watched for a moment before he moved to sit down on the bed. His back resting against the headboard and he opened his legs which Liliya quickly found herself sat between. Her back pressed against his front and she intertwined their fingers on her lap once they had pulled the covers over them both.

"Tell me about it," He requested. Liliya turned to look up at him and didn't know what to think. She wasn't sure whether she wanted to admit it or not. Admit what she had seen. If she said it, it would confirm that the nightmares were back and she didn't want them back. She wanted them gone but they never disappeared.