2. Welcome Home

Sirius was about to ascend the stairs when three new wizards apparated in right in front of him.  He froze until he saw the bright white light and then relaxed.  He knew they were friends.  Albus Dumbledore, Remus Lupin, and Kingsley Shacklebolt appeared right in front of him with grins on their faces.

"You called?" Remus said to his old friend.  He rushed down and threw his arms around Sirius's neck.  They embraced for a brief moment, then let each other go.  "It's been a while."

"It's been too long," Sirius agreed.  "How did you guys know I was here?"

"Albus," Kingsley answered simply.  "He said someone sent their patronus to fetch him.  He didn't recognize it.  Said you and Alaina were in danger."

"Hmm.  Wasn't me, mate.  What animal was it?"

"It doesn't matter," Albus spoke up.  "What matters is the fact we're here to help.  There are at least six Death Eaters inside."

"I only saw one."

"Trust me, Mr. Black.  There are six and they were in the room with Alaina and her doctor."

"I say we go in wands ablaze," Remus suggested.

"Now that sounds like a party I'd want to go to," Sirius agreed.  He put his game face on.  "Let's go.  She's on the eighth floor."

The four of them disapparated.  The element of surprise was going to be their greatest weapon.  They might expect Sirius to come back, but they would not expect him to have reinforcements.  This was going to be a fight to the finish.

~ * ~

The moment they left the room, he broke away from them.  He was supposed to be their spy to see where the Order was coming from.  He, of course, lead them down the wrong way.  He knew Albus and whoever he had brought with him would be coming in from the back and he had told the Death Eaters they would be coming in the front.  What reason would they have to come in the back way?

He waved his wand and his mask disappeared as he double-backed his way to Alaina's room.  He wanted to make sure she was alright and that they hadn't done anything to her before they left.  He was the first one out the door, but he wasn't sure.  Of course there was another agenda as well.  He opened the door to her room without and problem and hurriedly shut it behind him.  The scene before him wasn't as it had been when he left.  Alaina was on the floor and the doctor holding her there in his arms.  She was conscious, but groggy.  He was saying some sort of incantation, and he didn't even notice that someone had come in.

"What happened?"

Dr. Kesler's head snapped in the direction of his voice.  "She tried to get out."

He walked over and knelled down by her side.  "Is she going to be okay?"

"Of course."

As if to cooberate his story, Alaina slowly sat up, meeting the dark eyes of the man by her side.  "Who are you?"

"Severus.  Last names do not matter.  Even though I know yours, Miss Evans."

Alaina tensed.  She was sitting on the floor now, but Dr. Kesler had not moved from his positon.

"Just please leave her alone," he pleaded.  "I know you're one of them.  Otherwise you wouldn't have been able to get in here."

Severus gazed up at the doctor and nodded curtly.  "You are correct.  I am one of them, but I will not hurt either of you."

"Sure you won't," Alaina snapped.  "If you're not here to hurt us, then why are you here?"

He thought for a moment, not really sure how to answer her question.  There was only one answer, though he didn't want to say it out loud: Lily.  "I wanted some information from you, information the others might not appreciate me asking."  He stared into her light grey eyes, a mixture of light blue and green.  She looked just like her sister.  She had the same long and wavy red hair and fair skin.  Her hair was darker than Lily's, but the same length.  He hadn't even known Lily had a sister until Voldemort had sent them there to follow her home.  That was the only way he was going to find her, he'd reasoned, short of getting their secret keeper to spill.  "Just one question."