Chapter 38 - A gut-wrenching ache

"Do you trust me?"  The words echoed in Seven's mind, a simple question but it held much meaning to the both of them. She wanted to desperately, she wanted to be able to put her full faith in someone and believe they would always come through for her but people had always been so cruel, so unforgiving. Seven didn't exactly have a great relationship with people.

She thought back to the first moments she had met Peter, every inch of her body had been screaming at her to get away, not to trust anyone but she had ignored it and followed through anyway. She had allowed him to leap off the roof and take her around the city and had been surprised when she hadn't fallen to her death, she wasn't exactly protesting against that happening.

She had trusted him to take her to the tower that bleak morning, she didn't even know his face then and look where they were now.

She looked back to mere days ago at the fire, the terror in her eyes as they looked down to the floor where they could easily fall. She had trusted him to even look after the small child's life too but now it was just them, she knew that if she ever needed to then she could hold her own and hopefully protect Peter as well.

In all honesty, Peter hadn't given her a reason to not trust him, she chose once more to ignore every fibre telling her to drag them both back to the safety of the tower and decided to trust him instead. She knew how much this was bothering him, plus it could actually be nothing, right?

"Always" she replied softly and Peter nodded, they had something they had to do. 

Before either of them had a second to try and devise a plan they heard a noise. It wasn't that loud but it was still easily heard by the two heroes. Peter winced as the noise was heard, it caused the uneasiness in him to grow to an uncomfortable size. 

Seven didn't have to have any spider powers to feel the uneasiness, it grew in her too. She wished it was pain because then she could take it from Peter and make him feel normal again but sadly the feeling wasn't pain, just a gut-wrenching ache.

The two moved quickly, Seven used the fact that she was still holding his hand to her advantage and she pulled him in close so their masks were only inches apart. Now she had a sturdy grip on him she used her power to lift them both in the air, having to grasp Peter tighter when he began to freak out when the air surrounded them. 

Seven guided them to the nearest roof so they would have a good lookout point to observe and hopefully be higher up than whatever caused the noise they had heard a few seconds ago.

Peter went silent as he allowed himself to use his enhanced hearing. He listened for a few moments before hearing something and in his excitement he took off, swinging in the direction he had heard it, leaving Seven to follow behind.

Eventually Peter slowed down and landed on a small, short apartment building and Seven dropped down behind him, waiting for him to explain. Seven went to open her mouth and ask him what he had heard when his gloved hand clamped over her mouth and he shook his head.

Peter pointed to his left and lifted a hand up to his ear, motioning for her to listen.

Cautiously Seven walked closer to the edge of the roof, as she got closer she could hear hushed voices and she peered over the edge slowly, watching the people below.

Peter followed behind her and soon they were stood together in silence, very careful not to make any noise. 

"Have you got it or not?" A small, short man walked out from the driver's side of a black van.