Unlucky in Love

TW: stressful content

I'm not exactly what warnings to put here but this chapter may have content that could be upsetting to some. If you are not in the right headspace, I would recommend reading at a later date. This chapter does have important information in it however. My writing style is different in this chapter for reasons hopefully you'll soon see. 

A/N: song recommendation: "Nobody" By: Mitski

The world has a shimmering translucence to it, Cassandra had never noticed it before. Flowers smelled better, colors were brighter, especially around him.

Oh Merlin, him.

He was perfect in every way, the man she had always dreamed of... and she had him. She loved him more than anything and he loved her. She felt so honored that such a man could devote himself fully to her. She was so lucky. It was perfect in every way. He was perfect in every way.

They had been together for awhile so of course she knew what he looked like but, it seemed so much...clearer now. The smallest little beauty marks all over him. Cassandra was sure no one could be as handsome.

His floppy hair, how it always somehow looked perfect. And his smile— fuck, she do anything for him when he smiled. When he was happy, nothing could replace the feeling. Cassandra would do anything for him. How could she not, a man so perfect.

Adrian was a perfectly marvelous dream.

And she loved him wholeheartedly.

She had been counting the minutes, waiting for time to pass so he could come home from work. She had done exactly what he wanted, she had stayed in all day reading her favorite novel. How could she refuse, what else could she possibly want to do?

She peeked at the clock again, only ten minutes. She practically squealed, no longer paying attention to her book.

Finally the door opened, her lover waltzing in and kissing her on the cheek. She felt electrified by his presence alone, like finally all was right with the world.

"How are you doing today babydoll?" Adrian murmured, taking off his jacket. She could feel herself blushing, she loved that pet name.

"So much better now that you're here."

He looked her over, seeing satisfaction, like he had aced a test. "You know your mother wants us to come to dinner this weekend."

"That sounds lovely, I can't wait."

The corners of his mouth danced upwards, "Glad to hear it, you've made many improvements lately."

A breathy sigh fled her mouth as she looked him over, eyes slightly droopy, "Anything for you my love."

He kissed her cheek again, sending a jolt through her body. "Wait here, I need to finish some paperwork then we can do whatever we like."

She nodded, sitting down on the couch, resuming her novel. She didn't know how much time had passed but she stood, discarding the book on the coffee table, roaming around their apartment.

A small pebble of marble rested by a wall, she hadn't noticed it before. How did that get here?

She stood by the window, looking out onto the city. She knew she was waiting for something but she couldn't remember what. The colors seemed to somehow drain, the world becoming gloomier. 

The only vibrant thing left on the Alley was a large, orange poster with a purple W placed in the center. Her mind whirled as the simplistic thing confused her, the cognitive dissonance was overwhelming. She couldn't form the words of what the meant, it's name though... she could swear she knew it.

The poster seemed bright. It was bright. 

Why was it bright? Why was it calling to her? Why did it make her feel good... yet bad?

Adrian stepped out of the bedroom adjusting his tie, "Honey... what are you doing?"

"I don't know...waiting here...hey you see that poster? What is it for?"

Adrian walked over to her line of sight, seeing what her finger was pointing to. "Oh nothing to concern you, let's get you more tea."

He had been doing that lately, bringing her sweets and drinks. Cassandra remembered it always tasting sickly sweet.

He fixed a pot, pouring her a glass and bringing it to her, pushing it to her lips. He had an odd smile on his face, there were no creases around his eyes. He also had a scar on his face she didn't remember. 

She sipped, instantly feeling uplifted, overwhelmed by the beautifulness of the world. She looked at him, he seemed hazy, like shrouded in phosphorescent halo of beauty.

"Babydoll, can you do something for me?" A sweet melody flew from Adrian's lips, which had caught her attention.

"Anything." She didn't even think, it just slipped out.

"That poster you asked about is a symbol for a terrible, vile place. You are to never go there or ask of it again. You are to never think of it again. Repeat after me, Weasleys are vile. They are bad people."

The words rolled off her tongue as she was so eager to please him. His smile looked perfect again.

They spent the rest of the evening cuddled up on the couch, Cassandra reading a new novel, Adrian reading The Daily Prophet while sipping his classic bourbon. Her novel was a romance, about two lovers torn apart by the world around them. They had to keep their love secret, hidden in dark corners, yet they did it anyway. To them, love was worth it.

Normally, Cassandra would have adored a book like this but now...she didn't like the way these pages...those words made her feel. The book was festering, spiraling within her chest like a reminiscent melody from an old music box.

A supernatant of nostalgia and the worst part...

she didn't know why. 

I'd like to state that SA is NOT  in JATC. All intercourse is consensual in this fic. Adrian's motivations here are not to get anything physical from Cassandra or even based out of feelings for her...he is in a relationship with Uma. Adrian is not doing anything sexual to Cassandra. There is an very very different reason he has done this...and I think its safe to tell you he wants control of her mind, her actions..NOT her body.

I hope I explained that clearly! LMK if you have questions. 

The writing style and flow is much different this chapter as we are entering Cassandra's head more than ever before. Also, I know this was super short but I wanted to give you all some answers into what is going on (without flat out telling you what has happened) I really hope the writing style makes sense, I struggled with how I wanted to approach this chapter but I decided letting you all into her mindset would be best. 

random but I've been wondering...how do you all visualize Cassandra? I always wondered if anyone sees her the same or if the answer would be wildly different. If you are comfortable with sharing I'd love to know!