the start of summer break // 46

"Left!" My voice cut through the air.

Step. Step.

"Ha ha! Good luck getting past this block!" Tanaka teased on the other side of the net.

Step-step, swing. My feet propelled me high into the air.

Kageyama stammered. "Ah- sorry! That toss is a little too close to the-"

WHA-BAM!

Even though the set was closer than I'd like, I angled my body just enough to cut past Tanaka's block and land a solid hit on the ball, which landed at the corner of the hitting line. I got riled up as Tanaka and couple others shouted excitedly.

"Damn girl, you're getting good at those cut shots!" He high-fived me as I ducked under the net.

"Thanks, baldy." I set up to block the next hitter and the drill continued on like that until I was in the back of the hitting line again. A voice whispered to me as I wiped sweat from my face with my shirt.

"Pssst! Toshiko!" My eyes wandered aimlessly trying to find the voice.

"... A ghost?" I shuddered.

"Over here!" Called the spirit from the gym door. Except it was Sudou, who was very much alive.

"Ah-!" I jogged to the door and greeted my upperclassman.

"I have good news!" She explained. "I think I've finally found enough people to fill the team!" I gasped loudly and grabbed her hands, bouncing on the balls of my feet eagerly.

"Really!?"

"Yeah! We won't be starting practice again for a while though... there's paperwork I have to fill out and gather as the new team captain..."

"Yahoo! That's amazing, Sudou!" I cheered. "Who were the last people that joined?"

"Well, a friend of mine said she knew you. And wanted to help out along with a friend of hers." She stepped aside and revealed the two new members, practically sparkling in the sunlight. I gawked at them.

"Mimari! And Suzuki from Tanaka's class!"

"Yo!" They both said in unison.

"We heard you needed some team members." Suzuki smirked at me.

"We haven't played volleyball since middle school... but Toshiko is an awesome volleyball player! So when we heard you were desperate for members we wanted to join right away!" Mimari chimed in. I felt a little choked up.

"I'm so happy..."

"We should get going." Sudou said as she guided the other girls away with her. "I'll be in touch!"

"And we'll keep looking for even MORE members, Toshiko! Don't worry!" Mimari's bubbly attitude was almost blinding.

"You can count on us." Suzuki said cooly. "Now get back to practice."

"Right!" I chuckled, running back into the hitting line and continuing the drill with a stupid grin stuck to my face.

"What's got you so happy?" Yamaguchi laughed from behind me.

I whipped around and beamed. "My team is coming back!"

"Really? Did they finally find enough players?" When I nodded eagerly Tadashi smiled at me, "That's great TJ, better keep focusing here so you can show off how much better you've gotten." He turned me around by my shoulders and gave me a gentle push, I hadn't realized it was my turn to hit again.

"Better watch out, Toshiko!" Hinata shouted from the other side of the net. "I'm gonna block that ball right back in your face!"

"Ha! I'd like to see you try!" I shared a giggle with Yamaguchi and called for the toss from Sugawara. I'm surprised with how well I managed to act normal around him, like nothing happened. But inside, my heart and brain were a mess. He was quiet towards me, never standing too close... And it irked me that he always put the tosses right where I wanted them. All those thoughts in my head gave me an extra boost of energy, I wanted to hit the ball really hard! And it was gonna be such a satisfying hit, Shouyou's blocking was always predictable!