sometimes we aren't nice enough

hi guys, you all probably thought i've died or given up but nope i'm still here you aren't getting rid of me anytime soon i'm just slow and busy as fuck !!!!!!!!!!!!

anyways there's not much else to say to be honest enjoy the chapter

❀ ❀ ❀

The months flew by quicker than ever. It was true that time seemed to go faster when you were happy. Karl wasn't living a perfect life, but it was definitely a dream compared to the hell that he used to go through. His mom told him he had the choice to keep going to church on Wednesday nights or not, to which he decided he would keep going because he didn't want to leave Quackity there alone. She was surprised to hear his decision and assured him that she wasn't going to allow the pastors and church-goers to try to change him anymore. Karl honestly didn't care because he knew that wasn't her intention anymore, he just wanted to go because Quackity didn't have a choice in the matter.

He was soon introduced to his mother's boyfriend that she had been talking about, and he was very sweet. He respected Karl's name and pronouns even when his own mom was a little hesitant and awkward with her phrasing towards him. He was very accepting, and Karl understood completely why she liked him. He was still Christian, but also a breath of fresh air. That was the first person he had talked to since he was thrown into church at such a young age that really gave him faith that there were good religious adults in the world. Of course, his mother was getting there, but it was in wobbly steps, and from here and there she would blurt out something that wasn't exactly kind. Her effort was still way more appreciated than when she used to condemn him and make him feel like an alien for being different from everyone else.

So Karl's mom was getting more and more lenient, and he started to hang out with his friends constantly. It was happening on a weekly basis at least, and they would all go out to do random cool things together.

Like this time, he was getting ready to spend the entire day out at Six Flags. He couldn't remember the last time he had been there; he was probably not even at an age with double digits in it yet. He was excited, though, because from what he could remember, he loved roller coasters. Or at least, he loved the smaller ones he had been on when he was little.

He wrapped the cord of the portable charger around itself before slipping it into his pocket, and he patted his pockets for a moment to make sure he had everything before he skipped downstairs eagerly.

"Good timing!" His mom met him downstairs, and when Karl glanced out the window in front of him he realized that Sapnap and his dad had just pulled up to the house.

He grinned, turning and pulling his mother into a tight hug. She rubbed his back, which genuinely made him feel safe in a way he wasn't able to feel around her for ages. He pulled away, nodding and stuffing his hands in his pockets to check the contents one last time before he raced to get his shoes on. "Bye momma," He waved when he propped the door open with his foot.

She was smiling, and it didn't feel so bittersweet anymore. "See you later, have fun, and don't forget to text me!"

"I won't!" Karl exclaimed before stepping outside, and the screen door slammed shut behind him. He speed-walked to the car and hopped into the back seat enthusiastically. Sapnap looked over his shoulder from the front seat, reaching to meet Karl's hand in a strange, but loving gesture.

"Hi Karl." His boyfriend was grinning, and his hair was tussled and cute.

"Why are you in the front, Sapnap?" Karl pouted, scooting to the middle so he could lean in between the front seats just a bit.