Chapter 26 - Traveling once again

( So sorry for my absence! I went on a week long vacation and I just completely forgot about this lol I've also kinda been feeling down recently, but even so, I'm gonna try to update this fic more frequently! )

You stood just outside of the city, geared up and ready to go. It was scary, you had to admit. You'd been holding yourself up in your house for a few weeks, but now you're going on the journey of a lifetime. There was a small chance you wouldn't be coming back, so you took the time to say goodbye to a few people, the people who believed in you.

Although you hated to admit it, Aether was one of those people. Your current life goal was to finish what your mother started and become more powerful than the traveler. Though you sometimes thought ill of Aether, you knew that was one-sided. Aether only wished the best for you and for your safety. He really was such a kind person, so somehow, you couldn't hate him despite you wanting to.

But telling Aether about Scaramouche was the hardest part.

Earlier that morning, you decided to tell Aether you were leaving and why.

"Y/N!" You could hear Aether's enthusiastic voice from behind. You turned around, carrying your large bag, "Where are you headed? It's been a while since you've gone out!"

You averted your eyes, knowing very well what he would say if you told him. Taking a deep breath, you pushed through, "Aether, uhm.. I'm going to Liyue for a bit. And I might be headed to Snezhnaya too."

Aether seemed confused, "Snezhnaya? What business would you have there?" He chuckled, "Visiting a friend maybe?"

"I'm.. going with someone.."

The longer you stood there, the harder it was becoming for you to explain yourself.

"Oh really? Who?" He asked, genuinely interested in what you had to say. You could hear Paimon's distant yelling in the back. It seemed like she was talking to Sara over at Good Hunter. Something about sticky honey roast, perhaps.

The pressure was beginning to become too much for you. You closed your eyes and blurted it out, "I'm going with Scaramouche."

You said it. You didn't know why, but it felt like you were telling your parents you were in love with someone you shouldn't be in love with. That was the feeling you felt. It felt wrong, but you didn't really care.

"You.. don't care that he's a harbinger?" Aether asked. You half expected him to lash out at you, but he didn't.

You shook your head to his response.

"Does he make you happy?"

You looked at him this time. Did Scaramouche really make you happy? You thought he did, but now you weren't so sure. But to make Aether satisfied, you nodded, "Yes, he does."

Aether sighed, "I have no right to stop you. And I know you could take care of yourself if he were to hurt you. Just please, be careful."

You gently smiled, a bit relieved at his answer, "Thank you, Aether.."

The two of you said your final goodbyes and you set off for the main entrance where the Fatui were waiting for you.

From now on, you were a prisoner. Though you weren't actually a prisoner, everyone there, except for Scaramouche, had no idea. It would be difficult to keep up the act, but you knew you could do it. After all, you had Scaramouche to back you up and get you through it. You knew you could rely on him at least.

Scaramouche pulled you aside which startled you, "Okay listen up Y/N." He started whispering, "I'm going to have to be a little rough with you alright? It's just while we're around other Fatui. So don't be alarmed."