twenty-seven; fireflies

chapter twenty-seven❝ so much for my happy ending ❞fireflies

so much for my happy ending
fireflies

━━━━༺❀༻━━━━

The little boy, Billy, and his sister, Breanne, ran as fast as their legs could take them. Something was chasing them. A monster. A figure ran by, cutting them off. They squealed in terror. "Come on!" Kennedy Hale said, holding her hand out. Breanne grabbed it, and Kennedy swiftly picked up Billy as she lead them to a small shed.

Kennedy locked the shed door, putting Billy with his sister. "He's going to find us!" Billy cried. Kennedy shook her head, knowing Scott would meet up with them soon.

"Be quiet, I'll protect you." Kennedy says with a reassuring smile. Something about her made the kids trust her. Kennedy turned her head as she heard a low growl. The kids held on tighter to one another as Boyd's fingers wrapped around the bottom of the shed. Kennedy stood up slowly, her eyes flashing gold as Boyd ripped the top of the shed off. The children screamed as Boyd roared. Kennedy roared back, her teeth turning into fangs. As if on cue, a jar of fireflies rolls over. Boyd looks down, and all of them fly up. As hes distracted, Scott grabs Breanne, while Kennedy grabs Billy. The two run off with their speed, keeping the kids close.

After a safe distance is made, they slow down. "I'll call Derek." Scott said. Kennedy nods, leaning against a tree.

Breanne turned to Kennedy, "So, are you a super hero?" She asked.

Kennedy smiled, "No, I'm just a high schooler."

"A high schooler that saves the day!" Billy chimed. Kennedy smiled as the two kids smiled at her. "You're like, the bravest brave person ever!"

The Hale's smile fell as she thought about all that's happened in the last 24 hours. Erica was dead, there was no question anymore. Allison had found her body. Kennedy remembered seeing Erica in the closet, such a horrible place to be found. The memory was still fresh and stinging. Erica was tortured and died a brutal death. Meanwhile, the entire summer Kennedy had been hanging out with Stiles or Lydia, trying to be normal. Whatever that meant. "I'm not that brave," Kennedy whispered to the two kids.

Scott hung up with Derek, turning to the girl. "Are you gonna stay out here tonight?" He asked.

"Lydia's been texting. I think she's having an emergency. That, and Stiles literally thinks I died." Kennedy listed off. She sighed, "I'll keep an eye out, and I'll be back in an hour, alright?" Scott nods, knowing Kennedy had a lot on her plate. Kennedy could only do so much when all that was on her mind was her dead friend. She needed a break, and Scott made sure she had it.