O N E

You guys know the drill. Vote, comment, follow. Ily

OLIVER FLETCHER

PAST
September 2018

Moving to University was a terrifying experience but I was excited for the independence and time away from homelife

Moving to University was a terrifying experience but I was excited for the independence and time away from homelife. But meeting new people was always a struggle for me, hating the idea of being alone on my first night in halls.

I wanted to be going to the bars, clubs and getting drunk. Not wanting to miss out on university traditions, this was the time for me to thrive. No one here knew me, I could be anyone that I wanted.

Sure I was shy and quiet, kept to myself. But now was the time to mature and grab life by its horns and jump straight in. I never want to regret something because I let my anxiety takeover.

When my mum left me in my prison-like accommodation, I knew it was time to mingle amongst the other students in our block. Pushing open the communal kitchen door and watching as a girl with small rimmed glasses and short blonde hair looks up at me.

"Hey," she grins.

"Hi," I tell her as I let the door shut behind me, taking slow and steady steps towards the table that she was currently sat at.

"I'm Ruby," she says warmly.

"Oli," I smile towards her and sit down opposite her.

"Are you nervous?" She questions as she pushes her glasses further up her nose.

My lips purse as I nod. "Is it obvious?"

Ruby stretches out a grin towards me. "Don't worry, I am too. It's a new experience for all of us, of course it's going to be a little daunting."

I nod my head towards her. "Agreed," I breathe out. "What's your course?"

"Fashion textiles," she nods. "What about you?"

"Fine art but specialising in painting," I say as I clutch my fingers around the edge of my arms.

"That's cool," she tells me. "There is meant to be a meeting with our RA in a bit, hopefully they can share with us the best places to go on freshers night."

The thought of a freshers night somewhat made me cringe, but that's because I knew I'd be severely out of my depth.

"Yeah," I say to her. "I definitely want to go out on the first night."

"Amazing," Ruby grins back at me brightly. "Let's stick together."

Just as I open my mouth to speak, a few other people emerge from the dorms and enter into the kitchen. We say hello and exchange names but none of them seemed nearly as interested in going out like Ruby and I did.