Mila - The Number Three

Reviewer: Mila_333

Review: The Number Three

Client: nikkileds

🌻

Blurb

To be very honest, the current description of the blurb exudes a typical vibe from the story even if the whole plot says otherwise (I will talk about the plot in its respective section). Although the blurb does provide the necessary details on the story, I strongly feel that it doesn't match the strength of the plot. I hate to admit that I wasn't that thrilled by reading ONLY the blurb. I suggest you try to bring a more impactful effect to the blurb to lure readers and have them hooked right from the beginning. You can try to change the sentence structures or add high end words to increase the depth of the writing style.

Title

The title fits perfectly and I cannot imagine a more suitable title for the plot. I really find the title iconic and very unique. The understanding of the mechanism behind it after you read the book makes it even more cool and intriguing.

Cover

Once again I hate to admit that this cover is actually a big NO! (Sorry, I mean no offense at all). I feel like it doesn't correspond to the story at all, well perhaps apart from the 'crime scene' banners. In reality, the feels that the story entails actually opposes what the cover really depicts. I think this particular cover seems too innocent for this type of story. The font size and colour of the title also seems dull with the background. I advise you to get into contact with the cover shops we have here on Wattpad to work out a new cover. I suggest you bring out a fiercer picture of the characters because this is who they are and you should give them justice throughout the cover. It's important to make your readers connect to the story before they even start to read it and graphically speaking, the impression that a cover can give is truly gigantic. I'm not necessarily implying that the face of the characters should be there, even a silhouette may do. I stress that the minor details count depending on how they influence your readers, for example, the 'crime scene' banners are definitely keepers for the background.

Grammar and writing style

I did not come across a lot of grammatical mistakes while reading the story apart from a few typos and incorrect verb tenses. It wasn't bothersome at all as I was too hooked with the plot to even realize certain mistakes. I'm sure some went unnoticed too. You can definitely copy and paste your story on Word or use Grammarly to correct your mistakes.

The writing style was satisfactory. It was clear, precise and accurate. I have really appreciated the way you described the hectic scenes, for example, at the restaurant and especially in the last chapter you did a really good job relating everything. (I'm refraining to include spoilers here) On a side note, you can also provide a lot of polishing on your work if you will revise some sentence structures, not that they were bad or anything but if you're aiming for a more professional look, you can definitely consider revising your work or consult a professional to help you on that. But I truly believe you're good to go for now.

Plot

Okay, so where do I begin? At the first chapter I really thought this would be your average typical story. Basically the first chapter gives the same vibes as the cover. I believe it has to do with your writing style which changes afterwards but I also like the simplicity of it. However, as I mentioned above, it's highly recommended to edit the cover.

Coming back to the plot, the story gets quite interesting when the female protagonist gets to her job and relates her thoughts on the male protagonist. I was getting those cliché vibes and was seriously thinking that their romance will unfold quite smoothly afterwards. However, I wasn't prepared for what happened after (I will not mention here as I do not want to include spoilers) but the scenes got so intense as from here and I absolutely loved every bit of it. It was like a rollercoaster ride and I was thrilled to be on this adventure. I also loved the suspense that the plot carried and there was always this feeling present as to what would happen next. I think you've mastered the skill of keeping your readers on edge. I have to say I did catch up a bit with the suspense along the story, my predictions did come true once in a while but the end had me blown away! I was seriously left hanging and I think it was the best climax ever! I do not recall reading such a mind blowing climax lately, so hats off to you, really!

The bittersweet relationship between the leads was also a good idea and it definitely wasn't your typical forbidden romance story. I will again restrict this much only due to spoilers. Overall, the book has such good potential to turn into a movie someday and all credit goes to the plot. It was the best section of the story and by saying this, you should probably also know that 50% of the work is complete.

Characters

Firstly, I really loved how you portrayed the female protagonist as a strong, fierce, loving and caring individual. She really got some guts but I was also in a debate deciding whether it was right for her to keep up with the operation without her telling the truth about her particular problem. Apart from that, I absolutely enjoyed her relationship with the side characters such as her mom and Smitty. Every time they were in the scene, it would be fun and mood-lightening and maybe sometimes emotional too which was cute. This was an element of balance brought into the story which was very much needed.

As far as Bash's personality is concerned, I believe you pictured him as mysterious and mostly aloof as that was how he really was. There wasn't much to his personality and I get that you purposely made him like this. I really enjoyed reading his character when he sneaked J out and the scene they had at the mall was about him opening up a bit. I also loved how he supported J with the driving scenario. It spoke volume about him as a person.

Now coming to the main part concerning Bash and J's relationship, I would say they were kind of fun at the beginning and you could tell when it was becoming really serious between them. There was this sort of clarity on their relationship which I believe is quite good for the reader. Only thing that was really bothering me throughout the story was J literally begging Bash to tell her something about his past. This remark may only represent a personal preference of mine but it portrayed J as a nagging person, and it was sometimes pissing me off. Asking Bash a question isn't really the main focus here but the fact that she repeatedlyasked him when she knew he was being reluctant to answer is a bit weird, especially considering the position Bash was in. I am also considering the fact that Jenna was bored to death which might have led to this behavior but even at the mall she did that when she sneaked out and could have enjoyed herself in many other ways. It felt a bit like a minor intrusion of privacy for Bash if you ask me. The thing is I would have preferred Bash telling her these things in a different way without having J pestering her like she did.

Reader's enjoyment

This book's seriously going in my 'good books' reading list. It has everything you wish for: Drama, romance, suspense, plot twists and many more. I even finished reading this book's sequel, which is named 'Three's A Crowd' right after I was done with the first book and the second book is also found in my 'good books' reading list. I absolutely recommend anyone reading this review to check out this book and I will also give it a shout out on my profile. It was a pleasure reviewing this story!