99 | Lucky

Thank you @angel_of_darkness for the beautiful poster of Minnie & Luke!

Please remember to vote.  It's chapter 99 ya know ;)

Chapter 99: Lucky

~Millie's POV~

Backstage was buzzing with the excitement of performers waiting to go on stage and the thrill of those who had finished, ready to unwind. I returned to the artists' room, still claiming to be Jake's lyricist.

The room was a lot messier than the last time I saw it. Clothing, make up, glitter, empty cups and beer bottles were all over the place. I saw Jake's guitar on a seat.

He was standing by the free drinks, talking to the rock band that went on stage before him. Their outfits were as different as blue cheese and broccoli, which is a weird comparison I know. Jake was casually dressed, while the others were in sparkling bell bottoms.

Blue cheese and broccoli, it's what comes to mind.

"Jake?" I said, awkwardly interrupting their conversation.

"Hey!" he greeted me with an excited smile, grabbing two beers off the table and saying goodbye to the other singers, "See you on the dance floor. Come on, Mills, let's roll."

That rock band really got into his head quickly.

He led the way out of the backstage area. I couldn't get a word in, because the music was so loud, and strangers kept calling out to him. Jake's song has made him popular tonight.

He handed me another beer and tried to lead me into the crowd on the dance floor. I grabbed his arm to stop him.

"What was that song about?!" I exclaimed.

"You should know. You inspired it."

"So it was about me?" I confirmed, dreading the answer. I didn't want that to be the answer.

"First verse was inspired by our families and the second one was inspired by you," he said.

"I thought we moved on from this. Why are you singing about me like there's an us?" I asked, feeling upset that our friendship was getting between my relationship... again.

Luke left because of it.

"Why are you upset?" he asked, lowering his beer when he realized how distressed I was, "I thought the lyrics sounded nice."

"But they create more tension between the three of us. Wouldn't it be nice if we could all get along? Now Luke's-"

"Woah, woah, Millie, back up," Jake replied, raising his hands, "That song wasn't about me trying to get with you. I'm a musician. I take inspiration from reality, but I invent it from there. Sure, I liked you before, but then you started dating my half-brother and that's that."

"That's that?"

"Sort of," he smirked, "I'll still tell you what I think. Do I think you deserve better than him? Yes. Am I going to tell you that? Yes," and then he unexpectedly lowered his voice, "But am I going to destroy something that makes you happy? No."

There was something in the air between us. I couldn't tell if it was sincerity or sadness or something else entirely. Jake has been through a lot of pain and that's what brought us so close – I'm the closest person to understanding what he's going through and vice versa.

But I believed that he was really looking out for me.

So I let it go and tried to turn the mood more positive.