58. Safe

"I'm not sleeping in there."

"George, you're being dramatic," Cosette crossed her arms over her chest and leaned against the doorframe of her bedroom, but George was adamant on staying put in the hallway. They had just finished eating and when Cosette suggested they go to bed, George looked at her like she was insane.

"No I'm not," He huffed out. "You were with him less than 24 hours ago. At least change the sheets first."

"I slept in your bed," Cosette pointed out. "How many times did you and Lottie fuck before- actually, don't answer that."

George snorted and rubbed a hand over his face. They were both tired, but the thought of climbing into the same bed where Cosette had previously been with Elliot did not sound inviting to him.

"We used a condom," she added quietly and George raised his eyebrows.

"You did?"

"Well, yeah," Cosette averted her eyes, not sure if this was helping or making it worse. "I mean, I'm on the potion so I wasn't too concerned but he still pulled one out. Which was smart. Pregnancy isn't the only thing that can come from unprotected sex."

They exchanged a similar look of worry. The few times they had been together, they didn't use a condom. Which was slightly irresponsible. With their three year absence from each other, neither of them knew who the other had been with in that time. Cosette didn't think that George was carrying anything, but it still wasn't safe to assume.

"I always used a condom with Lottie," George told her and Cosette took a breath of relief.

"And Angelina?" Cosette asked, trying to recall any partners of his that she would know.

George shrugged his shoulders, "That was years ago, Setty. I don't remember. I want to say yes, we were safe, but I have no idea."

"Okay well STD's don't just go away," an awkward laugh passed through her lips. Were they really having this conversation? They were adults so it shouldn't have been weird but after the day they had, it was strange that this was what they were worrying about.

"I'm clean, Setty," George assured her, leaning against the wall. "Anyone I hooked up with in the past few years, I knew to use a condom. I doubt Angelina was carrying anything and if she was, I like to think she would have reached out and told me."

He could sense her hesitation still and while George was confident that he was clean, he wanted to ease Cosette's nerves.

"I'll get tested," He suggested. "We both can."

"Hey, I'm clean," Cosette retorted with another chuckle. Although her memory wasn't perfect, she knew that any one night stands she had were always accompanied with a condom. The only person, besides George, that she didn't have protected sex with was Fred.

But Cosette was also the only person Fred had ever been with, so she felt that the odds were in her favor and there was a strong chance she wasn't transmitting anything.

"You used a condom every time?" George asked.

"Yes."

"Really?" He asked again, tilting his chin up a bit. George didn't believe her. "You're telling me that every single time you've had sex with someone other than me, you used a condom?"

"Well," Cosette rolled her eyes. "I didn't always use one with Fred if that's what you're asking."

George nodded his head. It was, in fact, what he was asking. Part of him knew that Cosette and Fred weren't always as safe as they should have been, he just wanted Cosette to admit it. He remembered one day, it was shortly after they opened the shop, when Cosette was very obviously on edge. When George asked Fred if she was alright, Fred shrugged his shoulders and said that her period was late.