I'm Here With You

"Ellie?"

"Hi, Jamie," she whispers.

He must be dead or maybe a ghost. The ghost theory is probably more accurate because he's not lucky enough to spend the afterlife with her.

Looking at her, he doesn't care what this is because she's here in front of him. He doesn't dare move forward because he is terrified she'll disappear if he moves.

He desperately wants to touch her, to feel her body against his. However, he would never touch her again if it meant he got to keep her.

She takes a step forward and he involuntarily takes a step back. He instantly sees hurt on her beautiful face. He never wants to hurt her even if she is a ghost.

Lizzie is confused because she thought there would be more kissing and hugging in their reunion but he almost looks scared of her. She decides to approach him like one would approach a wounded animal.

She takes another tentative step forward and he holds his ground this time. She continues to take small steps, gradually closing the distance.

As she gets closer, he has to fight the urge to back away again. He knows that he needs to find out what she is doing here but he's so scared.

He did mention earlier that he would give almost anything for ten more minutes with her. Maybe this was a higher power answering his wish. He quickly dismisses that idea. God has never answered his prayers before so why would he now?

She's right in front of him now but he is still frozen to where he stands. She slowly reaches forward to touch him and he briefly wonders what her touch will feel like. Will it be the same? Or cold? Or will she go right through him?

When her hand makes contact with his cheek, he leans into her touch. Her skin is warm and soft and all the things he remembers. He takes his hand and cups the back of her hand to keep her caressing his face. He closes his eyes and memorizes the feel of her skin on his.

He's in heaven. That's the only explanation for how she's really here. He doesn't even remember dying.

Bucky never thought he would make it to heaven after all he's done. He's killed so many people that he thought his soul was damned a long time ago.

"I didn't even feel it," he whispers.

His statement confuses her greatly. He's not reacting in any way that makes sense.

"Feel what?" She asks softly.

"Dying," he says.

Why would he think he's dead? Unless he thought that she was dead. Steve must have felt her heart stop and they both assumed she was dead.

"You're not dead and neither am I. I'm here with you," she says.

He wants that to be true so badly. He wants a shot at the rest of his life raising his boys with her by her side, however, he knows that's not possible. It's been decades since he doubted Steve and Lizzie's twin bond and Steve was sure she died. Steve's scream of agony when she was gone was enough proof for him.

She can see he is doubting her statement from the expression on his face. She decides to prove it to him. She puts her arms around his neck and joins their lips together.

He hesitates for a moment because he's still afraid she'll disappear but he decides that he's going to enjoy every second of his time with her while it lasts. He grabs her hips and pulls her even closer to him.

Bucky feels like his body is on fire. Everything about her is just how he remembers. He feels intoxicated by her touch. When she pulls away, he chases her lips not being able to bear being a centimeter away from her.